From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSC Run-Time Licence Questions

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have recently discovered that LabView Developers Suite that I thougt was a complete development & deployment platform is not:

Since I had chosen to use DSC Modbus funcitonality, I need the DSC Runtime as well, apprantly both on my development system, and on the PC where the system will be deployed.

As bad as this is, I find it more frustrating to find out how these licences must be handled.

Our customer is a Precast Concrete Production plant that is not accustomed to handling software installation and licence issues.

Further, the PC is of course not online to the internet: This is a rough production environment.

I will build a complete installation package so that that customer can install the complete software onto the PC in a few easy steps.

I thougt LabView was up to this task, but I am now wondering if this is the case.

My questions are:

1. Must the DSC Runtime Licence be activated on the client's PC?
  2. If yes, how is the licence activated when the PC has no internet connection?
  3. PCs quite frequently die in these rough environments, and the client must be able to quickly install my software package onto a new PC to keep the production running!
    1. Can the client reinstall my software package on a new PC with no DSC Runtime licence hassle?
    2. What are the exact steps to do this?

Suggestions:

I strongly feel that NI should put up information about the fact that a DSC runtime is needed and links that explain these Licence issues on the following page:

https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/product/labview-datalogging-and-supervisory-control-module.html

The page above should also contain a link to this page: http://www.ni.com/labview/labviewdsc/faq.htm 

Like it is now, developers are waiting valuable time to find answers to thse questions (at least we did).

Message Edited by geirove on 12-07-2009 03:44 AM
Message Edited by geirove on 12-07-2009 03:46 AM
Message Edited by geirove on 12-07-2009 03:48 AM
Geir Ove
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,488 Views)

Hi,

If you simply need to use ModBus, here is a free library for LabVIEW: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Reference-Design-Content/LabVIEW-Modbus-API/ta-p/3524019

To your questions:

1. Must the DSC Runtime Licence be activated on the client's PC? Yes
  2. If yes, how is the licence activated when the PC has no internet connection? You can call your local NI Office, give them the Serial Number and the Computer ID (could be found in the license manager) and activate it per hand.
  3. PCs quite frequently die in these rough environments, and the client must be able to quickly install my software package onto a new PC to keep the production running! They can again call NI with the new computer ID
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,469 Views)

Christian_M wrote:

Hi,

If you simply need to use ModBus, here is a free library for LabVIEW: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Reference-Design-Content/LabVIEW-Modbus-API/ta-p/3524019

To your questions:

1. Must the DSC Runtime Licence be activated on the client's PC? Yes
  2. If yes, how is the licence activated when the PC has no internet connection? You can call your local NI Office, give them the Serial Number and the Computer ID (could be found in the license manager) and activate it per hand.
  3. PCs quite frequently die in these rough environments, and the client must be able to quickly install my software package onto a new PC to keep the production running! They can again call NI with the new computer ID

It is not an option to start rewriting code to use the Modbus library directly at this time. We use DSC to bind Shared Variables to Modbus addresses.

So NI is open 24  * 7 to support this and other 24 * 7 industries with new Runtime Licenses when a Control System PC / RT Module breaks down?

This does not look good for using DSC functionality in this industry. The potential client base here, is quite large: > 130 factories throuhtout Europe.

Why doesn't NI simply let users run 30 days on a temporary DSC Runtime License the way you do it for all other NI products?

a) This way we could test the software.

b) Clients could reinstall and have 30 days to get help to activate the DSC Runtime License.

Does not look like NI is interested in supporting 24 * 7 industries at all !

Better suggestions from NI?

Geir Ove
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,456 Views)

Gier,

1. When you install the DSC RTS is does install in an evaluation mode.  You will not lose any functionality in the time before you have to activate it through NI
  2. NI doesn't provide 24/7 support because we are a tools company selling to developers.  If a developer has a problem during development we can help him out.  Our support isn't structured to support big systems in the field that require 24/7 support.  This type of support is usually provided by an integrator who uses our products.  Regardless, this type of support could be negotiated on a case by case basis depending on how NI is involved in the system development.  
  3. If you are evaluating LabVIEW DSC for a big system in a large number of factories I suggest you please contact your local NI representative rather than simply using our free support forums.    

Thanks,

Mark

LabVIEW DSC R&D 

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,444 Views)

BLAQmx wrote:

Gier,

1. When you install the DSC RTS is does install in an evaluation mode.  You will not lose any functionality in the time before you have to activate it through NI
  2. NI doesn't provide 24/7 support because we are a tools company selling to developers.  If a developer has a problem during development we can help him out.  Our support isn't structured to support big systems in the field that require 24/7 support.  This type of support is usually provided by an integrator who uses our products.  Regardless, this type of support could be negotiated on a case by case basis depending on how NI is involved in the system development.  
  3. If you are evaluating LabVIEW DSC for a big system in a large number of factories I suggest you please contact your local NI representative rather than simply using our free support forums.    

Thanks,

Mark

LabVIEW DSC R&D 

Thanks for your quick answer.

I have had little luck asking my country / local representative: They have even told us "no use in asking NI"  (in other cases)!

a) So, is there a downloadable version of DSC Runtime I could try in evaluation mode? I haven't been able to find it!

b) How long is the eval period?

c) After buying the DSC Runtime Licence,   Can I test my app on several PCs, one at a time, by activating it on several in house test PCs, but only running one of them at a time ? (Like we do with LabView, when we test several PC hardware / Software configs for problems)

Geir Ove
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,437 Views)

Hello,

Can NI please answer my last question? We neeed to make som decisions regarding this issue.

Geir Ove
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,413 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author geirove

Gier,

I believe you are in our system as working for Objective Technology AS (NO).  Please let me know if this is indeed the case, so I can contact your local field engineer to work with you on the details of your application, and what software and support will be suitable.  

geirove wrote:

I have had little luck asking my country / local representative: They have even told us "no use in asking NI"  (in other cases)!

a) So, is there a downloadable version of DSC Runtime I could try in evaluation mode? I haven't been able to find it!

b) How long is the eval period?

c) After buying the DSC Runtime Licence,   Can I test my app on several PCs, one at a time, by activating it on several in house test PCs, but only running one of them at a time ? (Like we do with LabView, when we test several PC hardware / Software configs for problems)  

a)  There is no downloadable version of the DSC Runtime System.  This software is only available on CD Media.

b)  The eval period on this software will does not run out, nor does it require activation.  Since this software is only distributed on CD having the physical media is essentially the same (to NI) as activated downloaded software.

c)  The license agreement with the software requires that you purchase an additional DSC RTS License/CD for each deployed system, but the evaluation license allows you to install it on multiple machines for testing purposes.

Cheers,  

Mark
NI App Software R&D
Message 7 of 9
(5,395 Views)

Hello Mark,

Thanks a lot for your help !

I finally know what to do! 

Geir Ove
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,384 Views)

Hello Mark,

What if the computer with the software deployed does not have a CD reader?

Thanks,

Marcelo

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,094 Views)