cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLL-file deployment to CompactRIO using LabView

Solved!
Go to solution

hi,

I have compiled a DLL-file from SimulationX, and I want to deploy that file to a CompactRIO using LabView. How do I do that?

thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,501 Views)

What do you mean by deploy?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,495 Views)

Ive taken it to mean install and use in a labview enviroment, as you can deploy a software package, pity i have no experience of compact rios

Please remember to accept any solutions and give kudos, Thanks

LV 8.6.1, LV2010,LV2011SP1, FPGA, Win7
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,493 Views)

with deploy I mean running the DLL-file on the compactRIO. Anyhow, I found a good guide on ITI.com that solved the problem 🙂 

thanks for the reply! 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,487 Views)

@esplu88 wrote:

hi,

I have compiled a DLL-file from SimulationX, and I want to deploy that file to a CompactRIO using LabView. How do I do that?

thanks in advance 

You can't deploy a Windows DLL to Compact RIO. While newer Compact RIO systems do use a x86 compatible CPU, they still run VxWorks which is TOTALLY incompatible to Windows in any way you can think off. For the VxWorks application on the CompactRIO, a DLL is just a binary file of gibberish. Shared Libraries for CompactRIO need to be compiled as ELF shared libraries using the VxWorks toolchain (a GCC based toolchain) so your source code for the DLL better is in C/C++.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,480 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author esplu88

One correction, the cRIO 900x and 908x seem to use a x86 CPU and run Pharlap ETS. Pharlap ETS allows to run SOME Windows DLLs but by far not all, since it only supports a subset of the Windows API as available at around Windows 2000. So if you have a cRIO 908x controller (900x are very old and unlikely to be used nowadays)  you MAY be able to deploy the DLL to your cRIO system. To make sure you need to check the DLL for unsupported API imports by the DLL checker that can be downloaded for your specific LabVIEW version here.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 6 of 7
(3,474 Views)

About that DLL-file, SimulationX seems to be producing windowsplatform-dependant c-code, so I dont think it's possible to compile an .out file from the c-code generated from simx. I think the solution is to, as you said, use cRIOs with Phar Lap OS.

thank you for the reply:)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,458 Views)