LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIgital pulses missed

Hi I have a VI that read and write digital an analogical Signal at the same time triggered by the same signal

the digital signal came from 3 optical sensor this have a 9 ns of delay from when they are activate and when they send the TTL pulse to the DAQ

there is no problem when the speed of the object is less than 2m/s but when is a 4m/s and so the pulses are missed the triger activate properly but the pulse are not recorded

my daq is a PCIe 6351

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,661 Views)

Hi,

I have been checking on your issue and I´ve found some possible causes of this.

The first thing you have to do, is to calculate the amount of pulses you are trying to measure, if your hardware configuration sends to many pulses even your moving object is not going to fast the amount of pusles are excesive.

If this is the case, one possible solution could be to reconfigure your software to reduce the amount of pulses.

I will post the other possible problems on other replys because the amount of text is limited.

Luis Elias

Luis Elias
NI VeriStand and HIL Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,591 Views)

There are some thing you have to take care or.

If you are using a digital port to measure pulses (like encoder pulses) there are some considerations you have to take care of.  Here is a link in which you can review this: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/8087

Anyway if you are using the digital port to acquire the pulses you can use Correlated DIO, this gives you the opportunity to use an internal 10 MHz clock to measure your pulses.

It is important to notice that because you are using a to 10 MHz the pulse width resulted is a pulse of 100ns width, which implies that your with must be at least 2 times larger than this; however, it is better if is between 3 to 5 times larger.

Luis Elias

Luis Elias
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,590 Views)

I will also add an example of how to measure an encoder train pulse with a digital port.

Here is teh example of how you can use a digital port to measure an encoder: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5753

The only problem with this one is that it has only two signals at the time.

Luis Elias

Luis Elias
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,589 Views)

However, if you are using a PCI 6351 gives you 4 counters. This might be probably the best way to measure those pulses.

Finally, I do not know if you are having this problem, It might be possible that you data processing is slower than your data acquisition and that is why you are missing some pulses. If this is the case, you might want to use a queue to storage the pulses and then process them at a slower rate.

Here is an example of FIFO on DAQ acquisition using Queues to avoid the data loosing: http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-12057

Another thing is to use the internal LabVIEW examples. You can find then on the find examples section of your LabVIEW.

I hope this is helpful.

Luis Elias

Luis Elias
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,588 Views)

@lfelilas wrote:

I will post the other possible problems on other replys because the amount of text is limited.

Luis Elias

What do you mean by the "amount of text is limited"?

What is causing your reply to be limited? 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,582 Views)

Sorry, I mean the text box of the forum does not accept more than 10 000 chars.

It has nothing to do with the answer, I just needed to post it in different replys

anyway I just found another example that might be helpful,

http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-4170

Good Luck

Luis Elias

Luis Elias
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,577 Views)

@lfelilas wrote:

Sorry, I mean the text box of the forum does not accept more than 10 000 chars.

Luis Elias

I'm sure it can handle far more than that.  And 10,000 characters is going to average out to about 1500-2000 words which would be a very long reply.  Your individual replies would have easily fit into one message.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,574 Views)

I just relized what just happend, I forgot to use the Word paste that is why it sent me the 10 000 chars problem. My bad, It won't happend again.

Luis Elias
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,567 Views)