From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIO won't work until I use the Test Panel

Here is some strangeness.  A program that works fine all of a sudden has an issue on a clean install.  I am using a DIO-24 and after the PC has been wiped and and the software including the OS and drivers are reinstalled I get an error trying to access the DIO.  Once I open the MAX test panel for the device (DIO-24), wiggle some lines, and close it all is fine.  The program will continue to function fine.  What "Magic" is happening when I open the DIO-24 in MAX?

Matt
Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,532 Views)

Hello Matt,

I do not know of any additional configuration that MAX does to allow you to use your hardware, and I am a little unclear on what exactly you are experiencing. 

Are you saying that after installing the driver and your device you had to open max and use test panels before your device would work with your application, and now you can always use your application (even after restarting your computer) without opening MAX?  Or, are you saying that you can never use your application unless you open MAX first? In the second case, MAX maybe performing some initial configuration of the device that is should be performed in your software.  Does this behavior only occur with your software, or does it occur with a shipping example too?

Are you using LabVIEW to communicate with your device?  If so, what version and what driver have you installed. If not, what programming language are you using?   Is this driver version the same that you had installed when you developed your application?  What operating system are you working on? Do you need MAX open to run your application, or do you just need to run it before your application? Any additional information you can provide about what you are experiencing would be helpful.

Regards,

Jesse O.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments

Jesse O. | National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,504 Views)

I am saying:

Are you saying that after installing the driver and your device you had to open MAX and use test panels before your device would work with your application, and now you can always use your application (even after restarting your computer) without opening MAX?  - Yes

Does this behavior only occur with your software, or does it occur with a shipping example too? - I Have not tried to run example after a fresh install so don't know

Are you using LabVIEW to communicate with your device?  - Yes LabVIEW 8.0

If so, what version and what driver have you installed. If not, what programming language are you using? - NI DAQmx 8.0 for Feb 2006 Disk

Is this driver version the same that you had installed when you developed your application? - No, previous version

What operating system are you working on? - XP 

Do you need MAX open to run your application, or do you just need to run it before your application? - Just run once and close before running application

Any additional information you can provide about what you are experiencing would be helpful.

I spoke the the engineer who gave me the information and he said it happens only some of the time.  Most systems come up fine but a few require that MAX before the app will run correclty.

Matt

Matthew Fitzsimons

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,499 Views)

Matt

Not sure if this is related or not but I will share it with you just in case there is common ground.. I had a NI-DAQ to drive the DIO24 (PCI-6503) and then converted it to DAQmx. I found that the DAQmx didn't work at all. I found way a way to get around this by doing a Reset Driver under NI-DAQ in MAX. There after the DAQmx application would run with no issues.

Its almost like the NI-DAQ driver was preventing access from the DAQmx driver but the resetting the Ni-DAQ driver did the trick.

Might help...

David

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,493 Views)

Sounds like the same issue I am having.  I did not have any issues with the per-DAQmx driver.  At least the work around is simple.

Matt

Matthew Fitzsimons

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,483 Views)

Matt,

That sounds very likely.  When you open test panels in MAX, you force that driver to take over control of the card.  If the traditional driver had the card, after running test panels in DAQmx, any DAQmx software will now work that did not before.

I could verify this if you still have the error number that was produced when you tried to run your application.

Regards,

Jesse O.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments

Jesse O. | National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,465 Views)