LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx switch vs ni switch

Solved!
Go to solution

I developed a program in Labview 201? Windows7 using niswitch.  Then ported over to a machine using Windows 10 and can't find niswitch.  All my vis that use that "subvi ( niswitch initialize with topology.vi, niswitch relay control.vi, niswitch debounce.vi..etc) show up w ? (questions marks).  Does anyone know why?  And what is the difference between switch and daqmx?  

thxs

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,142 Views)

NI Switch is an additional drive package.

You can down load it here:

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-switch.html#329036

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,126 Views)

Any preference of one over the other??  Why the 2 different ones?

I created the vis on a machine that apparently has ni switch on it.  I used ni project to develop my test.  How come it didn't package ni switch w the project when i ported over to another development machine? 

thxs 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,104 Views)

@Clint1000 wrote:

How come it didn't package ni switch w the project when i ported over to another development machine?

What is NI Project?  Or do you mean a LabVIEW project?  Drivers and toolkits are not included in the project.  Those are separate installs.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,097 Views)

yeah..sorry..LV Project.

I'm using relay cards pxi 2509 &pxi 2567

is there a preference between daq switch and ni switch?  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,078 Views)

I have always just used NI Switch, so I don't really have an opinion on using DAQmx for switches.  But since you already have the code written to use NI Switch, just download the driver and install it.  Then you are good to go.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,071 Views)

Where are you seeing DAQmx Switch? I've never seen DAQmx used for switch control. I've only used DAQmx for digital/analog/counter IO.

That's not to say it won't work, just that I've never seen it (nor can I find it in my palettes). I had always assumed you use DAQmx for IO and NI Switch to control switches.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,065 Views)

EXAMPLES> then search for relays.."Switch-Controlling Individual Relays(DAQmx)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,061 Views)

So will it package the ni-switch when I create an installer on my development machine??  If I were to port my development SW onto another machine w LV do i have to reinstall ni switch if it doesn't have it or will it package it in LV Project ?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,060 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clint1000

The LV project just contains LabVIEW code. It doesn't contain drivers, so you will need to reinstall it. If you build an installer, you can use the item "Additional installers" to include the drivers for it.

I looked for your example and didn't find it, so I must not have that particular driver installed, sorry. What version of DAQmx and LabVIEW do you have?

Last, I searched for "daqmx switch" and found this Help article:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370469AP-01/lvdaqmx/palswitch/

It appears that all of the DAQmx Switch functions are deprecated, so I would assume they just ported all Switch functionality to NI Switch.

Edit: Originally said "if you build an executable", should be "installer"

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,056 Views)