cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx physical channel constant error

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am trying to get the labview 10.0 working in opensuse 11.4. I installed the components and all of them seem to be working fine.

The PCI card is also detected by labview. When I tpe lsdaq on the command line. I get the following output

--------------------------------
Detecting National Instruments DAQ Devices
Found the following DAQ Devices:
NI 6025E:    "Dev1"    (PXI8::15::INSTR)
--------------------------------

But when entering "Dev1/ai1" or "Dev1/ai0:3" in the DAQmx physical channel constant I get an error saying invalid channel name. How do I get rid of this error?

Chiran

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,187 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author chiran

Hello Chiran, 

Are you using DAQmx 8.0.2 or are you using DAQmx Base 3.4? If you are using DAQmx Base then you will need to create a task before you create the channels.  Try running an example program which can be found by navigating to Help»Find Examples»Hardware Input and Output»DAQmx if you have DAQmx 8.0.2 and are located in <LabVIEW>/examples/daqmxbase if you have DAQmx Base 3.4.

Thank you,

Justin P 

Justin
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer - Conditioned Measurements
Message 2 of 9
(3,146 Views)

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your reply.

I am working with NIDAQmx base 3.4. I solved the error by precisely what you suggested. But I am having another problem here. I have a PXI-4472 card and apparently it is not supported by NIDAQmx 3.4.0 (I have labview 10.0 and my OS is opensuse 11.4). Is there a way around this problem?

I am at the last stage of this problem. If I can ge this working it would be great.

Thanks,

Chiran

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,141 Views)

you should make Justins answer as the solution and give him a kudos. : )

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,134 Views)

Hello Chiran, 

A possible solution is to install DAQmx 8.0.2 and use this driver instead of DAQmx Base 3.4.  The readme for this driver shows support for openSUSE 11.3 but may work for 11.4.  The programming in DAQmx is a little different from DAQmx Base but there are resources for transitioning from DAQmx Base to DAQmx.

Best,

Justin P 

Justin
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,107 Views)

Hey Justin,

Thanks for your reply.

I am working with labview 10.0.

I installed DAQmx 8.0.2 but it did not help. DAQmx is not ideally meant for labview 10.0  and probably that is the reason why it does not work.

The installation also does not seem to go smoothly since it looks for support files from labview 8.6 and previous version which do not exist. I have attached the messages after installation of DAQmx.

Let me know if you find some way out.

Thanks,

Chiran

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,101 Views)

Hello Chiran, 

It is a bit of a dilemma at this point because the DAQmx 8.0.2 driver was developed prior to the release of LabVIEW 2010 and therefore does not support it, but supports the PXI-4472.  DAQmx Base 3.4 supports LabVIEW 2010 but does not support the PXI-4472.  These are the only two DAQmx drivers currently available for your operating system and they currently do not support all components of your application. 

Regards,

Justin P    

Justin
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,079 Views)

Well, if you install 8.0.2 and say "yes" to LabVIEW 8.6 support, you will get the DAQmx VIs and palettes in /usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW 8.6.  You can then copy them to the /usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW 2010 directory and everything should work fine.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,063 Views)

Hi,

Thanks Nathan for your reply.

I had to switch to windows xp since labview was giving me a lot of pains in linux.

With xp everything went lilke a breeze.

Thanks though.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,058 Views)