LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx interferes with keyboard and mouse in Windows 10

So here is a a really strange one.

I have a LabVIEW program in LV 2017 SP1 that runs perfectly well on Windows 7 PCs.

Now the customer has installed it in a new system running Windows 10 and attached the USB keyboard and mouse through a KVM which seems to have an integrated USB hub, i.e. USB keyboard and USB mouse into KVM, one USB cable to each of the PCs.

Keyboard and mouse work flawlessly on the PC in question until my software is started. Then the mouse intermittently hangs/lags and the keyboard intermittently becomes sticky. Intermittently is in the 5 to 10 second range for about 1 second.

If the software is switched into simulation mode the keyboard and mouse work just fine.

The only other USB device on the PC is an cDAQ-9174 chassis with a 9215 and a 9211 module.

As soon as communication with that device is started the interference starts.

When the mouse and keyboard are plugged into the PC directly the interference stops.

When the mouse and keyboard are plugged into the PC through a different USB hub the interference is back.

We update the drivers to 19.5 without any change.

Does anyone have any idea what else to try? 

I am currently building the software in LV 2019 SP1.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,132 Views)

It's a little unclear how things are attached to the Windows 10 (and to the Windows 7) machine(s).  It is also unclear why you are blaming DAQmx for the problems you are having.  Here are some questions:

• Do both the Windows 7 and Windows 10 PCs connect through the same KVM Switches using the same basic configuration?
  • I've successfully used KVM switches with LabVIEW (haven't used one for about two years, so my memory may be a little fuzzy), but I recall that the plug going to the PC had a "K", a "V", and an "M" dedicated connection to the PCs.  In addition, there were no USB Hubs involved in these connections -- K and M went directly to two USB ports on the PC.  Can you clarify if you are similarly connecting separate Keyboard and Mouse cables to your Windows 10 PC?

In the Old Days, Keyboard and Mouse connectors were not USB plugs, and were color-coded (Green and Purple), which allowed the PC manufacturer to put appropriate hardware at the other end of the jack.  With USB, what I think happens is that when the PC boots, it tests the USB ports, figure out which one is Keyboard and which is Mouse, and configures itself (until the next boot) to handle the specific signals from K and M.  With a Hub, this might be a problem ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,119 Views)

Can you try different USB ports? It sounds like the bus is getting "full". If it's a laptop, try switching from a port on the side to a port on the back, or vice-versa.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,098 Views)

So after updating the drivers to NI VISA 19.5 and DAQmx 19.5, updating the software to LV 2019 SP1, updating the PC BIOS and the Intel Chipset drivers the lagging issue went away.

Unfortunately they did all those changes at once and I cannot say exactly what fixed it but my bet is on the Intel Chipset update or the BIOS update. I figure there was an issue with having a USB hub connected to the PC that was fixed by one of those updates.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,001 Views)