cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx express vi visible in express vi.lib but not in controls palette

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am working with LabVIEW 2013 SP1 in Windows 7.  After installing LabVIEW (which I did about a year ago), I installed NI DAQmx 15.5.1, which I believe is compatible with my version of LabVIEW, as per the following link: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B0D5630C0A50D5C6862578E800459248

After installation, I opened LabVIEW 2013 and attempted to find the DAQmx assistant in the Express palette, but I cannot.  The assistant appears to be in the LabVIEW2013/vi.lib folder, as shown in the attached image:

DAQ_asst_vilib.PNG

However, upon opening LabVIEW, the express palette looks like this:

express_LV2013SP1.PNG

I have tried to find relevant information via Google and the NI forums, but with no success.  What is the issue here, and how can I rectify it?

If it is relevant, my ultimate goal is to communicate with an analog input card (NI cRIO 9215) and output card (NI 9269) each plugged into a separate cDAQ-9171.  I can see and have tested each of these devices in NI MAX.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,208 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cweidner0

The pallette is different for the front panel and the block diagram 🙂 Press ctrl+E or Window-> Block Diagram and right click. Under Express->Input, you'll see the pallette you want.

Message 2 of 6
(3,203 Views)

I cannot thank you enough.  I suspected the issue was something silly--the problem exists between they keyboard and the chair, as they say...Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,200 Views)

Not to worry, we all experience a little PEBKAC now and then. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,183 Views)

I urge you to do a web search for "Learn 10 Functions in NI-DAQmx", download the excellent NI White Paper so referenced, read it, and resolve to Never Again Use the DAQ Assistant (particularly since using Tasks, especially within LabVIEW Project, and 4-5 DAQmx functions, will make your code much easier to control, understand, and run).  In addition, if you are not using the DAQ Assistant, you are unlikely to use its Evil Twin, the Dynamic Wire (a further source of obfuscation).

Breaking these two dependencies has a (small) cost -- you need to put your code into a LabVIEW Project (a .lvproj file).  True, you don't have to use Project, but it is much easier to do so.  Doing this will involve perhaps an hour of additional work on your part, particularly if you are just learning how to do this, but will save you a lot of time and effort going forward.

Bob Schor

Message 5 of 6
(3,150 Views)

This is the first thing I will do on Monday, and I will take your suggestions to heart as I try and get this to run.

I actually really like the .lvproj setup and have not had a chance to use it yet.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,141 Views)