From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx event reference from subvi before it finishes

I have a VI that initializes two counters using the DAQmx drivers, waits in a while loop until the exit button is pressed, and then shuts them down.  I would like to alter the timing of these pulses which I can do just fine in a test VI, however when I use this as a sub VI in my main program I need to refference the DAQmx event.  I can't figure out how to get this refference to my main VI so I can call a propertiy node.   Does anyone know how to refference a DAQmx event outside of the VI it's created in?  The only solution I have is use two VIs and outout the event refference from the first so the main can use it. 

Hardware: PCI_6023E

DAQ_Test_Trigger_Outputs.vi works fine.

Ocean_TriggerSource.vi is the subvi in my main program.

counter.png shows where I'm calling Ocean_TriggerSourse.vi.  The cluster contains the refference to the stop button.

I have an event loop in the main VI that handles any user input while the program is running, and is where I would like to alter the counter properties.  

For the curious these counters are triggered on a pulse, then wait some amount of time (~1ms) before sending their own pulse that stays high for 1ms.  The trigger pulse is coming every 5ms.  I need to be able to exactly adjust each delay independantly while the program is running.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,540 Views)

This is my current work around

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,507 Views)

Have you tried using a call by reference node? Would this help your situation?

https://www.ni.com/en/support/documentation/supplemental/06/calling-a-labview-vi-by-reference.html

Eric Wang

Applications Engineering

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,437 Views)