From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx base resources not present in Labview controls or constants (using cRIO 9215 & USB-9161)

Hi,

I'm using the above DAQ system with labview and DAQmx Base. The device is working, but the DAQmx Physical Channel, Task and Device controls and constants are not populated, ie, they contain no references to the cRIO9215 or its' input channels. They contain only a browse option which takes me to an empty list. Are these not supported by DAQmx base? Do I need to build my own "Dev1/ai0" type string?

To add to the confusion, I previously had a PCI-6023E in the same machine and its' input channels were available in the DAQmx controls/constants (as Dev1), but selecting one, e.g., Dev1/ai0 would actually select input 0 on the cRIO 9215. Also, with the 6023 installed, opening a vi with one of these controls on the front panel would take up to 15 seconds.

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,309 Views)
Mike,
DAQmx Base channel names will not populate in DAQmx controls (as you have seen). The DAQmx controls will only populate with DAQmx tasks and channels. For a DAQmx Base channel, you simply need to type in the physical channel, like "Dev1/ai0". To see the device numbers associated with a DAQmx Base devices, go to the DAQmx Base Task Configuration Utility. You can get to that utility from LabVIEW (on the tools menu), and it is also located in your DAQmx Base directory (usually in the National Instruments directory).

The fact that you were able to use a previously used input channel was merely coincidence. It just happened that the name of the channel corresponded to a valid physical channel of the 9215.

DAQmx Base was written entirely with LabVIEW. When a DAQmx Base program is opened, sometimes hundreds of LabVIEW VIs must be loaded. Occasionally this takes a few seconds.

I hope I was able to shed some light on this subject for you.

-Alan A.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,299 Views)