From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ assistant making my program run slower. Any idea how to fix this problem or to find faster Alternative?

So currently I'm doing some researches at my univercity.

I'm hitting some Actuators with juice and then getting getting some data about how they react back (they start vibrating) and I get this data with a laser which uses the DAQ assistant to give me the data back.

I need to use 2 DAQ assistants one to get the data from the lasers and the other one to get the data about the electric tension that I'm sending (I get the data from a NI USB 6003).

The problem is when I run the DAQ laser standalone I can get frequencies up to 400 Hz while when using the other DAQ assistant at the same time I'd get frequencies up to .... 4 or 5 Hz.

So Yeah I need to find a faster alternative.

Sadly after some intensive Googling researches I haven't found a suitable solution.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,202 Views)

Hi Max,

I need to use 2 DAQ assistants

Wrong: nobody is forced to use to use DAQAssistent ExpressVIs!

Use plain DAQmx functions - they are easy to use!

The problem is when I run the DAQ laser standalone I can get frequencies up to 400 Hz while when using the other DAQ assistant at the same time I'd get frequencies up to .... 4 or 5 Hz.

Maybe you also need to use some/other programming pattern like QMH, state machines, producer-consumer, etc…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,195 Views)

Thanks Gerd I'll check them out out

What do you mean exactly by other programming pattern

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,172 Views)

Hi Max,

as you didn't attach your VI(s) I can only guess about the way you programmed your algorithm.

But there are several programming/design patterns (like the ones I named above) which will aid you in creating "better" software…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,165 Views)

my bad Its nothing special really its just vi I created to find the root of the problem.

One signal is analog the other one is digital.

I attached the vi to this post.

When I enable the DAQ assistant for Voltage the function that shows the movement of my Actuator that I get at a high frequency (100-500Hz) will go from a nice clean Sinus motion to a messed up function that looks weird and chaotic.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,159 Views)

Hi Max,

can you attach a downconverted version of your VI? (I prefer LV2017…)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,155 Views)

Sorry for the slow responce time

Here you go

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,138 Views)

Here you go, @GertW.

How serious are you in learning LabVIEW?  If you plan on being an Engineer doing Testing and Development of new devices, it might prove to be a valuable investment of your time.  I recently posted "Bob's Rule" for learning Programming -- Write Programs!  Learn the Language.  Learn its "style".  Look at (and study) Good Code, and try to make your code better.

When I got started in LabVIEW (a while ago, with experience in a half-dozen text-based Programming Languages), I bought two books -- Jim Kring's "LabVIEW for Everyone" (which describes most of the functions of LabVIEW, but regrettably is more than a decade old) and Peter Blume's "The LabVIEW Style Book" (which I read cover-to-cover at least three times).  Despite their ages (around LabVIEW 7 or 8, as I recall), they contain a lot of Practical Knowledge that you can put into practice right away (particularly the "Style" book!!).  You will also find discussions of Design Patterns in there.

Another great learning source are the Tutorial series for LabVIEW, including the sources listed on the first page of this Forum.  NI has an excellent series on DAQmx, which can free you from the tyranny and limitations of the Dreaded DAQ Assistant and its Evil Twin, the Dynamic Data Wire.  If you are doing DAQmx stuff, learn about Waveforms (which work wonderfully with Charts and Graphs).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,134 Views)