From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ Upgrade to new Card

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everybody,

i got  a question about updating my DAQ Card (USB-6251) to a new model. Previously used with LabVIEW 8.6. I want to upgrade it now with an up-to-date LabVIEW version (2022+).

Is it useful to upgrade it to a new card or can I keep the old one.

I got a few analog I/Os (6 differential and 4 single ended -> but maybe we are gonna upgrade the sensors to some with digital output) also we got about 13 digitals I/Os in use. We have a to communicate with an accelaration sensor and a force/torque sensor. 

Are there some commonly known problems for upgrades like this (like should I rather keep the card) or is it better to have the new one with longer service and support. 

Thanks for every suggestion and have a nice day!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(855 Views)

Hi Alexander,

@alexanderross wrote:

Is it useful to upgrade it to a new card or can I keep the old one.

The USB6251 is set to "mature" with last order date as 29th Dec. 2023: how much do you depend on that DAQ device?

When it's "just" a lab station it might be ok to still use a "not sold anymore" device. But when your production machine depends on that hardware you might redesign the machine to use an replacement like the USB6351

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(851 Views)

Hi GerdW,

thanks for the quick reply. I just use it in the lab, the question I ask myself for how long is it still useable or are there any known driver problems with newer labview versions.

Greetings

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(841 Views)

Hi Alexander,

@alexanderross wrote:

how long is it still useable or are there any known driver problems with newer labview versions

I haven't heard of DAQmx driver problems with those "generic" USB6x5x devices, so they should be mostly interchangeable.

On the "still usable": you can buy a new USB6251 til end of this year. After that you might get some service for two or 3 more years.

The real question is: How long do you need to support the lab setup and how important is that setup for you, your tasks, and your employer/company?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(817 Views)

Adding to what GerdW has already said:

1. First examine the specs that are relevant to your measurements.  If you've been satisfied with the USB-6251 so far, odds are that this alone won't dictate an immediate change to a USB-6351.

2. Then predict the future.  If you think you might find that you want or need to change to the 6351 a few years down the line, are you likely to have the budget freedom to make the change then?   If unsure, it may be prudent to make the change now even if it isn't yet inherently necessary.

3.  I find the newer 63xx devices to be considerably more versatile than their 62xx counterparts.  But a lot of my opinion is based on the enhanced feature set for counter/timers and hardware-timed digital io.  I don't know if the analog side is a similar near-universal improvement.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(784 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alexanderross

If you are considering upgrading your National Instruments DAQ card from a USB-6251 to a newer model, there are several steps you can take to ensure a smooth transition:

1. Review the specifications of the new DAQ card: Make sure the new DAQ card meets your application requirements. Consider factors such as the number and type of channels, sampling rate, resolution, and compatibility with your software tools.

2. Check for compatibility with your existing software: Make sure your existing LabVIEW or other software tools are compatible with the new DAQ card. You may need to update your software to work with the new card.

3. Plan for wiring and cabling: The new DAQ card may have different connector types or configurations than the USB-6251. Plan for any necessary changes to wiring or cabling, and make sure you have the appropriate adapters or accessories.

4. Install the new DAQ card: Follow the manufacturer's instructions for installing the new DAQ card. This may involve installing drivers or software, as well as physically installing the card in your computer.

5. Test the new DAQ card: Once the new DAQ card is installed, test it to make sure it is working properly. Use your software tools to acquire data and check for any errors or issues.

6. Update your LabVIEW or other software tools: If necessary, update your software tools to work with the new DAQ card. This may involve updating drivers or other software components.

7. Consider training and support: If you are new to the new DAQ card or to LabVIEW, consider taking training courses or seeking support from National Instruments or other resources. This can help you get up to speed quickly and avoid potential issues.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(774 Views)