From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Cluster Indicator and Control Descriptions in Context help?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey I've been searching around for a little while now and was hoping maybe someone might be able to help me out. I have a program that has a custom control that is a cluster of numerics. There are 15-20 numerics that are very closely related and sometimes the naming convention can be quite confusing. I'd like to know if anyone knows some way that I could break out a small descripiton of the individual controls used in the custom control's context help? The description and tip menu doesn't help me out here, because I have to be viewing a frontpanel that has the custom control visable on it to select the individual numerics. I think it would be great if I could just hover over a terminal for that custom control (cluster) and then have a description of each of the numerics pop-up under that individual numeric instead of just seeing the labels for everything that the cluster is composed of.

If I'm not being completely clear let me know and I'll add some images that may help out describe my issue.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(3,524 Views)

I think you should use bundle by name and unbundle by name for the cluster and then you can check in which element you have to wire your correct output values.

Correct me if i am worng.

Certified-LabVIEW-Developer_rgb.jpg

Best Regards,
Prince Agarwal,
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(3,515 Views)

Would setting each numeric's tip strip text give you what you're looking for?

Tip Strip Numeric 1.png

Tip Strip Numeric FP.png

The TipStrip can also be set programmatically via property nodes.

Feel free. Contact me for anything more,
    Pang

You too can be LabVIEW Awesome!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(3,493 Views)

@pangvady wrote:

Would setting each numeric's tip strip text give you what you're looking for?

Tip Strip Numeric 1.png

Tip Strip Numeric FP.png

The TipStrip can also be set programmatically via property nodes.

From the way they are describing the issue, its while they are on the BD, not the FP, so the tip strip and description isn't available, and the naming convention doesn't lend itself to descriptive elements either.

Only thing I can think of would be a floating text block next to the bundle/unbundle, or wire labels.

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(3,480 Views)

Not really. That's what I meant when I said I'd have to be viewing the frontpanel to see the individual numerics. For example here's the context help for an error cluster indicator. There's a description for the status, code, and source, but when the context help is for the cluster it just gives the labels (names). I could describe them in the cluster description, but it only shows the context help for the cluster if you have a control/indicator of that cluster.

LabVIEW_2017-01-04_11-18-03.png

To explain a little further, this is even worse though if you want to look at context help for the wire or vi terminal that is a cluster type. This is the error wire context help.

LabVIEW_2017-01-04_11-17-49.png

I think it'd be really great if you could add a descripiton of status,code, and source. maybe something small and similar to the data type descriptions. You can see that it calls out in grey that status is '(boolean (TRUE or FALSE))' and I think even being able to edit or add to that would be awesome. I just didn't know if there was someway that we could do that now or not?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(3,477 Views)

Interestingly, Cluster constants don't seem to inherit the parent clusters documentation if you create a constant from a control, or place from a typedef onto the BD.... Not sure how much of the documentation is kept from the parent object when you run the wire, as it were.

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(3,474 Views)

@Prince17 wrote:

I think you should use bundle by name and unbundle by name for the cluster and then you can check in which element you have to wire your correct output values.

Correct me if i am worng.

This will give me the name, but really what I need is a description of that name. I have 15-20 numerics that have all unique names, but without just using the description as a name they can be confusing. I'm actually adding more numerics as I've been working on this project, but really what I want is to be able to have a description of the numeric in a cluster pop up on the context help when the cluster wire is selected.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(3,449 Views)

This might be a place where you just put the descriptions as a comment on the block diagram.

Or create the list in Word, print it out, and keep it by your computer while you are doing the programming to refer to.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(3,444 Views)

I would also recommend you to use the comments on the BD for the description purpose.

Best Regards,
Prince Agarwal,
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(3,434 Views)
@Prince17 wrote:

I would also recommend you to use the comments on the BD for the description purpose.

This is fine, but this doesn't really answer my question. This is a very large embedded application and I could copy and paste the comment for every block diagram that uses that cluster, but could be very man vi's all in different libraries, targets, and main program blocks of code and be very burdensome. This also doesn't help for when I pass this application on to another person if I forget to put a comment in a BD that someone else is interfacing with.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(3,425 Views)