cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crio CPU usage jumping between 35% to 50% periodically

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi gents,

I have a Crio 9024, in my RT application, I have 2 processing loops, the first one run each 200 ms and the second one is a dynamic event loop running each 3s. So the CPU usage jumps from 35% to 50% each 3s to process the event is't normal ??? this kind of app can be harmful for crio'CPU or not ?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,935 Views)

I think the recommendation is keep the CPU load lower that 75%-80%, so you should be fine.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,927 Views)

What happens inside that event?

Why do you think that a slight rise in CPU usage would be harmful?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,924 Views)

Thanks gents for your fast reply,I was thinking it could be harmful because it's periodically jumping. so I'm just asking to know if it's normal or not.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,919 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author IYED

It jumps periodically as you call some routines periodically…

Why do you think it's not normal?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,914 Views)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,909 Views)
Solution

Your program is doing something extra every 3 seconds and CPU usage raises briefly every 3 seconds.

Coincidence? I don't think so! 😄

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,906 Views)
Solution

This is a very good source of information about cRIO http://www.ni.com/pdf/products/us/fullcriodevguide.pdf

I was a little bit high with 80%. See page 46:

When designing your real-time target application, you should aim for a CPU usage below 70 percent. You can monitor CPU usage with the NI Distributed System Manager or programmatically with the RT Get CPU Loads VI. Consider the following when trying to reduce the CPU usage of your application.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,901 Views)