From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creation of Delayed-Choice Quantum Eraser Simulation

Hi there,

I'm not sure if LabVIEW is the appropriate software for me to use, but I'm wanting to build the experimental set-up that Scully uses for his delayed-choice quantum eraser thought experiment (see this image link - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/steviet/scan0002.jpg), then run the experiment as per the instructions in the link I just provided.

Can this be done in LabVIEW? If so, how would I start building the experiment, then run it?

Cheers,

Stevie

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,836 Views)

Hi Stevie,

Could you provide some more information about what exactly you are trying to do. How do you plan on using it?

Yes LabVIEW with either a 2 or 3D picture control could more than likely do what you need, but we need more info to say for sure.

Joe Daily
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

may the G be with you ....
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,814 Views)

Hi there,

What I'm trying to do is create the experiment on my computer, and run it on my computer as if it were being done in a lab (i.e. without any additional equipment). Effectively, a Virtual Physics Lab.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,798 Views)

Hey Stevie,

This can absolutely be done.  And it can even be programmed so that it can easily shift from the ‘Virtual Physics Lab’ to real equipment.

First you need to create the simulation of each component of your virtual experiment.  Create a sub VI(program)  for each part and put them together in a main VI.

Such as:

MainVI                                                        ContainsSub VI's

Atom source

Detector

delayed-choice quantum eraser thought experiment.vi                        Cavity1shutter

Cavity2shutter

Slit plate

film

With each of these you need to decide the information each piece needs to function as you expect.

For example: the detector would need three inputs (boolean) :

•         shutter 1 status (open or closed),
  •         shutter2 status(open or closed),
  •         click (yes or no)

and four outputs  (boolean-on or off)

•         Red 
  •         Blue
  •         Purple
  •         Yellow

Each VI should contain the logic/events that pertains to that part alone to keep the code clean.

Also, should you choose to add real equipment later down the line, you can replace each subVI with its hardware counterpart.

I hope this helps,

Kyle K

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Product Manager for Product Data
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,765 Views)

Thanks! Is it quite easy to code the whole thing? I'm not really good at programming...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,746 Views)