cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating front panel GUI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I need help in decorating my front panel. How do I insert arrows indicting directions. For e.g. if the output is a postive number point downwards else point upwards. I tried using 2D picture control but I am not able to drop the image into the box. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,814 Views)

Hi S.,

I tried using 2D picture control but I am not able to drop the image into the box. 

There are functions to load images (like JPG, PNG, BMP) and to display them in a 2D picture indicator - use them!

You can also customize a boolean button to show your arrow images. Then all you need to do is switching the boolean indicator…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 11
(3,807 Views)

Have you looked at the Silver Palette?

Silver Buttons.png

Bob Schor

Message 3 of 11
(3,770 Views)
Solution
Accepted by S.Neo

Try using a Picture Ring.

You can customize it (right-click Customize) and import images of your choice. Once created you can picture the right image by passing the appropriate number to select same.

Try it, you will like it!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 11
(3,769 Views)

How do you customize the boolean LED ? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,724 Views)

Read this page about how to customize boolean controls/indicators: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/AD62483251BEDCDA86256DAB007AAB3C

What I usually do, I look for nice and sharp icons in png format, and in the required pixel size to match with the size of my buttons. There are lots of repositories where you can get such icons for free, and they look very good. Usually I prefer the icons with minimalistic design plus transparent background 🙂 Here is one such site: https://www.iconfinder.com/search/?q=png&price=free

Here I show some examples I created in this way (I designed these rather huge buttons for a large screen application):

gui_buttons.png

EDIT: but re-reading your very first post, what you need is Picture Ring as Ben suggested (so depending on certain conditions, you can programmatically set a Picture Ring indicator to show you directions, etc.)

Message 6 of 11
(3,715 Views)

@S.Neo wrote:

How do you customize the boolean LED ? 

No. Do what Ben suggested. Yes, you could use a customized LED indicator for a simple up/down arrow marker, since you have only two states. But imagine if later you need to add more states: like left/rigth, etc. If you use a Picture Ring from the beginning, your code will be much more scalable.

I show an example here how to use a Picture Ring ( http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/addingpictitemstoringcntrl/ ). If you use a Picture Ring from the "Classic" palette, you can even hide the borders (by selecting the brush tool, and using the upper right x symbol representing "transparent colour")!

Picture_ring1.png

Message 7 of 11
(3,710 Views)

Actually i was thinking of creating an animated arrow that will move up and down. I think pic ring is able to do it. But I'm not sure how to use it. Blokk, I am not able to open the vi as I only have LabView 2012.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,698 Views)

Hi Neo,

i was thinking

Well, we can't guess what you are "thinking" - we can only answer your question in written form… 😄

When you want to have an "animated" arrow you can also draw it in a 2D picture indicator.

Or use a XY graph to draw your arrow: use complex numbers for coordinates and rotate the arrow by applying "simple basic complex" math… 😄

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,687 Views)

Find the VI attached in version 2012. So could you clarify what you want? You want a kind of animation, or just to show two different pictures: arrow up and down?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,670 Views)