LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an exe file - Help please

Hi Isbu,

Bill's dead on. Try out the evaluation here: http://www.ni.com/trylabview/

You'll get about a month of trying out the application builder. The apps will only run for a short time period though as it is evaluation software. I also think there's a watermark.

If you get in touch with your local branch then they'll be able to help you get the best option for you in terms of cost and functionality. The self-paced online training is really useful as it covers at least the first two LabVIEW courses.

You'll also have access for a year to the techincal support team by phone and email for a year until you have the option of renewing.

But I'd say, give it a go with the evaluation to try out and then get in touch with your local branch. I found this really useful when first starting out to work out what's what: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3303/en/

Best of luck with the evaluation. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Jimmy

James P
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,094 Views)

Thanks James. Taking the oppertunity that you are from NI, what is the difference between the professional and Developer version. I do see developer version with 'all functionality' compared to the profesisonal BUT there is no 'Add to Cart' button for it. 

Also could you please re-confirm if I buy with my academic discount applied then will there be any difference to the validity/functionality of the software after I graduate.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,071 Views)

@lsbu wrote:

Thanks James. Taking the oppertunity that you are from NI, what is the difference between the professional and Developer version. I do see developer version with 'all functionality' compared to the profesisonal BUT there is no 'Add to Cart' button for it. 

Also could you please re-confirm if I buy with my academic discount applied then will there be any difference to the validity/functionality of the software after I graduate.

Seriously, you should talk to a sales person at NI.  They don't bite.  In fact, they are VERY nice and helpful and not pushy at all.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,068 Views)

Hi Isbu,

I'd also recommend speaking to one of the sales engineers at your local branch as there's some licensing terms you'd need to work out. I'm not sure whether academically reduced software could then be used commercially after purchase and graduation so it's a question they'll be able to clarify.

Which country are you based in, I can get the phone number to ring or the email address for the team?

Thanks

Jimmy

James P
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,064 Views)

I am based in London/UK. I spoke to them and they said though the website is showing me ACADEMIC DISCOUNT, it is not for me (why is it there then?) They said It is for the university to buy (why it shows on my profle when clearly I am a student, it is mentioned in my profile!!). I also then asked I would like to take advantage of the training courses which is a part of the package, so they gave me only training package costs without labview. 

I didn't find it very fair and though the guy I spoke to first said 'yes I can have the software , but after gratuation if you try to renew it then it wont be on those prices, which makes sense to me. I can always hold onto the professional system forever without any SSP or upgrades later.

Then this other new guy takes the call from the first guy and ruins everyting for me as in the first para of the post.

😞 still unsure and don't know who can have what.

It seems I spoke to two people with one person just want to advertise discounts to students, not actually offer them.

Funny thing is that the two courses which are the part of CLAD exam are  £498 appx and Labview Full with the courses included = 578 appx. This is a proper let down as I can't have Labview with course included and the price which is almost nearly the same.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,049 Views)

@lsbu wrote:

I am based in London/UK. I spoke to them and they said though the website is showing me ACADEMIC DISCOUNT, it is not for me (why is it there then?) They said It is for the university to buy (why it shows on my profle when clearly I am a student, it is mentioned in my profile!!). I also then asked I would like to take advantage of the training courses which is a part of the package, so they gave me only training package costs without labview. 

I didn't find it very fair and though the guy I spoke to first said 'yes I can have the software , but after gratuation if you try to renew it then it wont be on those prices, which makes sense to me. I can always hold onto the professional system forever without any SSP or upgrades later.

Then this other new guy takes the call from the first guy and ruins everyting for me as in the first para of the post.

😞 still unsure and don't know who can have what.

It seems I spoke to two people with one person just want to advertise discounts to students, not actually offer them.

Funny thing is that the two courses which are the part of CLAD exam are  £498 appx and Labview Full with the courses included = 578 appx. This is a proper let down as I can't have Labview with course included and the price which is almost nearly the same.

I'm sorry you had that experience.  That is highly unusual, at least in my experience with them.  What's more is that I found zero difference dealing with NI whether I represented the big company I work for or represented just myself.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,040 Views)
What I would find unfair is if you could buy with an academic license and then use it for non-academic use.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,031 Views)

Hi Isbu,

Hmm, that's unfortunate to hear you've had that bad experience with the team. I'll ping you a private message with my email and we can clear this up for you.

The trouble is once you''ve graduated and you start using the license commercially you then break the terms of the license agreement you clicked "OK" on when you start. The academic pricing is precisely for what it advertises, academic work only within an institute of learning. It will have to be bought through the University as well.

If you click on the Academic Pricing link on any product page it details:

Academic pricing is reserved for accredited, degree-granting institutions whose primary function is the education of students. Purchases must be made by the university/college/technical school or school district and all products are to be used for academic purposes only.

Externally sponsored research centers and organizations that are only loosely affiliated with academic institutions do not qualify.

Orders MUST be placed on a University, College or School District Credit Card or Purchase Order. Orders placed with personal credit cards do not qualify for academic discounts. Students do not qualify for these discounts, either.

Criteria to receive the academic discount:

1. Accredited, degree-granting institution whose primary function is the education of students.
  2. Orders must be placed on an official university, college, or school district credit card or purchase order.
  3. Orders must be shipped to an accredited university, college, or school district.
  4. All academic discounts are subject to final verification and approval by National Instruments.

If it's ok I'll ping you a message with my email and we can work out what's going to fit best for you AND be within licensing terms etc.

I'll post back on here the answer to the query for interest of Dennis and Bill.

Thanks

Jimmy

James P
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(1,008 Views)