From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating URL path for OPC

Hello, 

I am using LabVIEW 8.6 to read/write to the PLC (Allan Bradley 1100) using the OPC server provided by RSLogix 500. I found an existing VI for monitoring multiple PLC tags (Multiple OPC Items Monitor)  and it works if I use selection of the items option. However, I was trying to change the list of predetermined items and I have trouble figuring out the syntax for the URL. I also don't understand how the URL differs from a file path constant and was wondering if there was a way to convert. 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,596 Views)
Not sure I understand what you are asking here but do you want to know the syntax of Datasocket OPC URL's?
Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,585 Views)
Yes, I would like to know the syntax.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,583 Views)

Datasocket Tutorial - OPC

If you have any other questions, post back.

Adnan Zafar
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,581 Views)

I checked the link and I'm still not sure if what I have is correct. The link states:

opc://ServerName/OPCServer/ItemName.

By my logic what I want should look like:

opc://RSLinx OPC Server/RTTA/Online/F8/F8:1

RTTA, online, and F8 being folders

When I use the above stated URL I get an error message stating that it can not read items.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,575 Views)
No, you just need to bind to the item name. What's the tag identified as in your OPC? Link it directly to that; you don't need to specify folders.
Adnan Zafar
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,555 Views)