LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Runtime Installer for VI with VISA Read VI

Greetings Fellow Users,

Please let me know which 'ADDITIONAL INSTALLERS' the  LabView RunTime engine requires in order to run a VI that reads from the built-in serial port (COM 1) of a Windows XP PC.  For instance, I include LabView Run-Time engine 8.0.1 to creat an installer for the VI.  If I want to load and run this .exe on a PC that has no other NI software, do I need to include any of the following as 'ADDITIONAL INSTALLERS':

->NI-SERIAL 1.8?
->NI-VISA RUNTIME 3.4?
->NI-DAQmx 8.0?

What does the NI-VISA RUNTIME do anyways?  Also, when I do include some of these, I have to dig out my LanVIEW installations CDs and they are loaded from teh D:\.  What is the cleanest way to load these onto my HDD so that LabView will select these automatically.

Thank you. 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,844 Views)

@FLT CTRL 6 wrote:
Greetings Fellow Users,

Please let me know which 'ADDITIONAL INSTALLERS' the  LabView RunTime engine requires in order to run a VI that reads from the built-in serial port (COM 1) of a Windows XP PC.  For instance, I include LabView Run-Time engine 8.0.1 to creat an installer for the VI.  If I want to load and run this .exe on a PC that has no other NI software, do I need to include any of the following as 'ADDITIONAL INSTALLERS':

->NI-SERIAL 1.8?
->NI-VISA RUNTIME 3.4?
->NI-DAQmx 8.0?

What does the NI-VISA RUNTIME do anyways?  Also, when I do include some of these, I have to dig out my LanVIEW installations CDs and they are loaded from teh D:\.  What is the cleanest way to load these onto my HDD so that LabView will select these automatically.

Thank you. 

->NI-SERIAL 1.8?
This is the driver used for serial port controller boards and interfaces from NI. You do not need that software when trying to access built in serial ports or ports on interface cards from other manufactureres than NI.

->NI-VISA RUNTIME 3.4?
This is the software LabVIEW uses to talk to all kinds of IO interfaces including serial ports. This is what you will need. Runtime means it is a stripped down version without LabVIEW, C, VB, Delphi and whatever development bindings and examples etc.

->NI-DAQmx 8.0?
This is the software driver for NI data acquisition devices (analog IO, digital IO, counter , timers).

These are all to be considered drivers and (very maybe apart from NI-VISA) it is usually not a very good idea to include drivers into the application installer. If you use them your user is likely to have bought his own kind of hardware and no matter if he happens to have bougt the newest SuperPCI interface board with 256 ultra-high-speed serial ports over wireless connections or an old standard PCI board with 2 RS-232 interfaces they both will have come with a CD that is appropriate for that device, whereas the NI-Serial driver you included is only appropriate for NI serial boards that are still AND already sold at the moment when that driver was released. The same applies for any other driver software.

NI_VISA being able to connect to standard built-in serial ports could be considered different but it isn't really. I have included NI-VISA on application installers in the past only to find out that the included NI-VISA version did not run or not run reliably on newer machines with new OS versions, so we had to point the customer to the NI site to download the newest version anyhow, or even burn a new CD with updated NI-VISA versions and express ship it.

Basically including any kind of driver software in the application installer may seem like a good idea but will usually cause lots of additional support after some time due to incompatibilities with newer OS versions, new hardware, etc.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 2
(2,838 Views)