LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Backup Files

Hello,

I have a VI designed to a user to write and update data that is displayed on a tree.  The data can be saved to an XML and can be opened for later use and updating.  My question, is it possible to tell Windows to copy the XML file and paste it in a different folder (back it up) via LabVIEW before the file is officially opened?  This way the user isn't responsible for having to do it every time they wish to alter the XML.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,930 Views)

Yes, it can be done using 'Copy' node (available in 'Advance File Functions'):

Advance File Function -- Copy.png

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

Message 2 of 9
(3,926 Views)

I am upgrading from Labview 2012 32 bit to Labview 2014 64 bit version. Can anyone help me how can I take a backup of the VI's. So that I should I not face any load error to run VI's after installing upgraded version. 

Last question, I am using 64 bit Windows 7. So, will it cause any error, If I switch from 32 bit to 64 bit ? 

I am using many DAQ's to read data from hardware, How it differs from upgraded version ? 

I copied the files in different folder. I was just curiuos that, is there any other way to back up files. 

Chethan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,805 Views)
You shouldn't hijack an old and unrelated thread.

You won't have as many toolkits available If you switch to 64-bit LabVIEW. Unless you really need the extended memory, there is little reason to make the switch. There are no changes in DAQmx.

Your source code control system should be providing the backup. Not using source code control? Stop everything and do that first.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,796 Views)

How can I do that ? Can you give me step by step procedure to perform this using source code control system. Because, here the test bench is fully connected with hardware (DAQ) and many VI's. Help me, I dont want to face any upgrade issue when I install 2014 64 bit. 

Chethan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,786 Views)
The procedures will vary depending on the source code control system you use. I've been using tortoise/subversion but there are others such as git that work well. Do a little research, compared features, and go from there.

You still have not explained why you are upgrading to 64-bit.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,780 Views)

@kschethan wrote:

How can I do that ? Can you give me step by step procedure to perform this using source code control system.

Go look up Tortoise SVN.  It actually has nothing to do with LabVIEW other than it is maintaining your VIs in a database.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,777 Views)

Just like that. There is no particular reason for using 64 bit. If it causes me an error. Then, I will go with 32 bit version of 2014 Labview. 

(The completed model has been built in 2012 version 32 bit ), Engine models in test bench

Chethan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,776 Views)

I strongly suspect that if you install 64-bit LabVIEW (particularly after you have been advised not to do so unless you have a really compelling reason to do so), you will probably regret it, particularly if you then decide to install the 32-bit version.  LabVIEW is pretty rigid about what can be installed "on top of" what ...

BS

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,749 Views)