From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a Project Template for LabVIEW NXG

Hello,

I have similar projects that can started from a template. I would like to create a template and instantiate the project from custom template. What is the procedure/process to create my own project template in LabVIEW NXG?. 

Thanks

Senthil

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,894 Views)

For right now it looks you cannot create your own template in LabVIEW NXG.

Michael Bilyk
Former NI Software Engineer (IT)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,839 Views)

Save it on disk.  Copy/paste it to a new directory for the new projects

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,819 Views)

This is an good solution if all of your subVIs and files are located within the project folder.

It is less good if you have subVIs that are located in a shared directory. It could also lead to cross linking.

Michael Bilyk
Former NI Software Engineer (IT)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,810 Views)

Manual Copy Paste Method could lead to issues like

- When there are classes and lvlib copied from one project to another project, these files has to be manually renamed in the new location. In case if we do not rename, there are multiple lvlib files in the same exist in the system. As long as, one project is open at a time, this is not a problem. But practically, we tend to open class and lvlib files from one project while the files from the other project is open unintentionally. This will lead to unnecessary problems.

I prefer using project templates to copy a project and rename (append a prefix) all the files to avoid issues.

@NI, When can we expect create your own project template feature in LabVIEW NXG?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,803 Views)

Do you have LV?  Write a quick VI to copy/rename files at your will.  That'll be much quicker than waiting for a new feature when 2.0 was just released

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,796 Views)