From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create PWM using a NI 9402 with phase shift

Solved!
Go to solution

If i change the last working frequency 23.439 to 23.440 (only 1Hz more) then i see for about 1sec the signal/frequency on the scope but then it goes down to 0V.

Currently i set it to duration 5sec. And at each restart i have for one second the signal.

I changed the size 10 array to size two (only T F) and to only one line instead of two but this makes no difference.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 43
(960 Views)

I replaced scope, NI9402, NI cDaq 9171, USB wire but same result.

So its not a hardware problem.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 43
(948 Views)

Can you try wiring the input boolean array to a For loop with indexing disabled then out with concatenate tunnel and a few iterations to duplicate the array and then try writing that (so perhaps 100 samples instead of 10) and setting the duration to a longer time?

I have no particularly good reason to believe this will change anything but perhaps there's some problem with the necessary regeneration speed? I'll try and find a suitable piece of documentation later and check if there's any information about that.

GCentral
Message 13 of 43
(943 Views)

Ok, now i have again by size 10 boolean. Here the last working freq is 23.426Hz (Which is less than the last working frequency with boolean size 2).

When i set the for loop to:

1 -> 23.4kHz (200us/)

2 -> 46.7kHz (50us/)

3 -> 70,2kHz (50us/)

4 -> signal appears for ~1sec

5-> signal appears for ~1sec

6->140,5kHz (2us/)

7->1635kHz (5us/)

8->187kHz (5us/)

9->211kHz (5us/)

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 43
(938 Views)

Currently the attached screenshot.

I create always a size 100*10 array and calculate the rate by the given frequency.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 43
(923 Views)

Can you add the "DAQmx Is Task Done" VI after your Stall Data Flow?  It may be that the DAQ driver is throwing an underflow error but you're not seeing it.  (The DAQmx Clear might suppress that error.)  Is Task Done should report driver errors.  My guess is that there's an underflow in the onboard buffer, which I've seen happen with small circular buffers.

Message 16 of 43
(897 Views)

Actually, forget all this nonsense with the DO tasks.  With small numbers of samples, you could run into onboard FIFO underflows.  With larger numbers of samples, you'll likely still run into underflows since your number of samples will be larger than the very small (127 sample) onboard buffer and will have to continuously refill over USB, which is a recipe for intermittent underflows at the rate you want. 

Just do it with two CO tasks like you originally mentioned.  The CO Frequency create virtual channel VI supports a "frequency", "duty cycle", and "initial delay" input.  Make two tasks, one with duty cycle A, and one with duty cycle B.  Make task B have an initial delay necessary to get your 180 deg offset, and then make task B trigger off of task A's start trigger signal to align the generation starts.  They won't drift since they reference the same backplane oscillator.

Message 17 of 43
(891 Views)

Hi Croohcifer,

Can you create an example on how to do this what you describe?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 43
(885 Views)

Please check the sample rate input of the DWDT Boolean Array to Digital function.  The default is 1KHz and it will override your sample clock and expand the array to force the lower frequency.

Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
Message 19 of 43
(878 Views)

@croohcifer wrote:

Actually, forget all this nonsense with the DO tasks.  With small numbers of samples, you could run into onboard FIFO underflows.  With larger numbers of samples, you'll likely still run into underflows since your number of samples will be larger than the very small (127 sample) onboard buffer and... 

If you read the specification for the cDAQ chassis mentioned you'll see for parallel IO modules (like the 9402) the FIFO for regeneration allows 2047 samples for DO. There's a list here of the modules for Digital I/O regarding series vs parallel (link). Somewhere I've seen a whitepaper discussing the two, but I can't find it now...

Available counter tasks are typically far fewer and running two tasks for such a (in principle simple) problem seems fairly wasteful. Then again, with a 1-slot chassis, maybe it doesn't matter.

GCentral
Message 20 of 43
(892 Views)