From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy Question Zone: MS Excel as part of the installer

Is it possible to include 3rd party software (unlicensed) as part of the LabVIEW software installer?

I'm sure the answer is "no", but since this is the "Crazy Question Zone", I may as well ask...

Has anyone been requested to add non-NI applications as part of the LabVIEW installation, so that it is not necessary to run any other installer after a new PC has installed the OS?

Message 1 of 6
(2,514 Views)

Ray,

The only thing that comes to my mind is using a self-extracting exe you could include a script file that would execute upon the self-extracting zip file running and that script would kick off the installer for MS Excel and your LV EXE.

Aaron W.
National Instruments
CLA, CTA and CPI
Message 2 of 6
(2,498 Views)

Hi Ray,

This is absolutely possible- refer to this KnowledgeBase:

KnowledgeBase 149BHCQH: How Do I Make My LabVIEW-Built Installer Run an Executable After Installation?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/9564F80C4DEBC4508625656900661050

You can specify either an exe or a batch file to run after the LabVIEW installer.  The secondary installer(s) would be included in the build spec as you would a text file or any other dependencies.

Regards,

Tom L.
Message 3 of 6
(2,492 Views)

If you need more than one installer to run in addition to LV then you can also use a batch file as mentioned before and have it run at the end of the LV EXE.

Aaron W.
National Instruments
CLA, CTA and CPI
Message 4 of 6
(2,487 Views)

I've used Inno Setup to install other items along with LabVIEW things.  I've actually simplified my installations greatly by not trying to do as much with the NI installer.

Message 5 of 6
(2,474 Views)

Thanks guys,

I will check with the client and see if we go forward with any of these suggestions.

I'm glad I ask crazy questions.. 

😄

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,433 Views)