From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counting the RPM from analog signal

Come on, this is basic math.

If you know that it's 527 samples between one rev and the next (samples per rev), and you know that your sample rate is 10000 Hz (samples per sec), then.....

Beware, though - if you just count the  number of revs in a block, you won't be accurate, since there are extra samples at the beginning and end.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(805 Views)

Hi,

I don't understad what the sampling rate has to do with samples between revs. I have 58 peaks between revs and 10000 is just the rate of sampling of these peaks(actually the whole curve). I don't know how many samples I have per rev, since this will be the function of revs, more revs, less samples per rev. I will have to increase the sampling rate anyway since the engine will spin beyond 13000 rpm.

I am very sorry for these rookie questions, but I am new to the world of programming.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(797 Views)

If your sampling rate is 10000 Hz, then it's 100 uSec between samples, right?

Suppose tooth #0 peaks at sample #113 of your block of data.

You find all the peaks and find that tooth #0 peaks again at sample #5913

The distance in angles is 58 teeth = 1 rev

The distance in samples is 5913 - 113 = 5800 samples

The distance in time is 5800 x 100 uSec = 580 mSec

therefore, you're going at an AVERAGE speed of  1 rev/580 mSec, or about 103.45 RPM.

This is assuming that your gear has 58 equally spaced teeth, and is NOT a 60-tooth gear (VERY common for RPM measurements) with a couple of teeth missing.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(793 Views)

Can you show me the direction in which to go please? Maybe I am looking at this too much from engineering standpoint and not programming standpoint. To do this in analog world, I would take the stopwatch and see how many counts per revolution I have per second. Easy thing. What would be the ''stopwatch'' in LV?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(788 Views)

You're not understanding something:  your SAMPLE RATE is your stopwatch. 

You asked it to sample at 10000 samples per second.  

Trust that it does that.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(784 Views)