LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counters and Timers for engine speed measurement.

Hello

I want to make a simple programme using NI-DAQmx that counts the number of square pulses in a specified amount of time. The input is from an engine speed sensor, that gives a square pulse every rotation.

I wish to find the the number of such pulses in say, 10 seconds, and find the engine speed.

On doing literature survey, I have found out that Sample clock can be used as a counter. There is an option called "Implicit", but it doesn't count the number of square pulses.

In addition, what VI can be used as a timer?

Presently, I am using DAQ Assistant and Time Elapsed VI's for the purpose, but I want to avoid them as they are express VI's. Please suggest.

Dheeraj Bharadwaj
IIT-Madras
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,404 Views)

Have you looked at the examples provided with LabVIEW?  Those will be a good start.  In the example finder, look under Hardware Input and Output -> DAQmx -> Counter Measurements.  There are examples for counting pulses, and for measuring frequency (which is approximately what you want to do).  The manual for your data acquisition device has information about the different counting options and how to connect the signals.  Most likely you want to connect to the counter input, not the sample clock.

Message 2 of 2
(2,401 Views)