LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counter Vi. Transitioning from old to new

Hello NI community, sorry for the questions that may seem simple. I am transitioning over from a very old Labview program and am trying to figure out how to get these counters back up and running. The images are posted below. I am new to Labview as well and have been developing experience with it as I go but the NI community is of great help. Any suggestions?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,047 Views)

You didn't post actual code so we can't debug too well, but that ? means there's a VI you're missing. It LOOKS like a FGV- a Functional Global Variable. Without knowing what exactly you're trying to do we can only guess.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,043 Views)

How's this?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,039 Views)

Those are pictures of code, not your actual code. What is this program doing? Literally all we can tell from your description is that it's a counter of... something 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,035 Views)

I suspect that your very very old LabVIEW program used data acq device hardware counters and that the subvi's in question are part of the old traditional NI-DAQ API.

I'm among the old-timers still around here who used to do counter/timer stuff under that old driver, but not in about the last 15 years now.  It looks like some kind of counting/timing function was being done in hardware on this old app, but there's not much clue as to what it might be.

What do you know about the needed functionality of this application?  What are the signals, what must it *do*?  What Data Acq hardware do you have available to use?

Being very new to LabVIEW is an additional complicating factor.   Some of what I see there would make me want to scrap the whole thing and start over from a blank page.  This might be more than you're ready to tackle.  However, being new to LabVIEW *also* means that you can get yourself into trouble trying to make small mods to existing code too.

If someone needs a program to do whatever that program did, they should be able to define the functionality and behavior.  That's step 1.  If that requirements definition sounds too complicated to tackle yourself, you might want to consider hiring help for the implementation.

-Kevin P

P.S.  You should plan to transition to the DAQmx driver, even if it requires you to buy new data acq hardware.   Traditional NI-DAQ has already reached its dead end.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,015 Views)

"how to get these counters back up and running"

- Click on the run arrow!

Or are you asking about the question mark VIs? If you double-click on them, you get the name of the missing VI. Then you can find out what is missing.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,974 Views)