LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cosmetic suggestions

"3. Make the default alignment of the digits in numerical controls and indicators Right Justified. "

If your indicator was not large enough, you would only see the decimal places and not be able to see the MSD.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 11 of 18
(1,081 Views)
If your indicator is not large enough to see the decimal point, you don't know how significant the MSD is.

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,078 Views)

johnsold wrote:
If your indicator is not large enough to see the decimal point, you don't know how significant the MSD is.

Lynn

Both Ben and Lynn have the problem covered from both ends.  Perhaps if the field was not big enough to show all digits, it should show ###### like it does on Excel when the column isn't wide enough.  Of course, it would be difficult or impossible for a user to change the control or indicator width during run time to get all the digits to show.  so perhaps something else like a flag that appears outside of the indicator or a change in background color to the indicator to state that the control/indicator isn't wide enough to show all digits and it would be necessary to highlight or cursor through the control/indicator to see all the digits.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,074 Views)
Another problem is about align objects.
When you select multiple objects, the last one selected, must be kept steady, and all the others to be moved. (like Corel does)
It is very handy
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,052 Views)

johnsold wrote:
I wonder if keeping the FP and BD both near the origin will help with the placement? I think I have observed, but have not verified, that placement correlates with position on the other panel. Position on the BD may not correlate well with where it should be on the FP, but that seems to be the way it is now done.

Yes, this is my observation as well.

More often, I deal with debugging or "adding 1 more feature" to code that is absolute disaster to work with (and others see often)..  Block diagrams spanning over multiple screens wides (avg is 3 screens) and multiples screens high (usually 2 to 3 screens).  So you add an object on the Block Diagram, double click it to go to the Front Panel and you're far away from any other Front Panel object.. 

RayR
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,037 Views)

Ben wrote:
If your indicator was not large enough, you would only see the decimal places and not be able to see the MSD.

Well, at the default size and default format, a numeric indicator won't show you the correct values that could
be 100+ orders of magntude different, but instead shows you a value that is completely off.

No alignment will help here! The problem is with the size, not the alignment.

Message Edited by altenbach on 05-31-2008 09:54 AM
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,025 Views)

johnsold wrote:

FP Property Nodes exist for Panel Bounds and Window Bounds, but no such properties seem to be available for the BD.
Emphasis on "seem". Anyway, do you actually need them? Why do you care about the origin of the BD?

My suggestions: ...Provide a means to return either FP or BD to origin with a menu, VI property, or other mechanism which does not require tedious 2D scrolling.

Done - place the attached VI (saved in 8.0) in your <LabVIEW>\Project folder and restart LabVIEW. An option to reset the first pane to its origin will appear in your tools menu.

1.c. Regardless of position of objects on FP or BD, allow scrolling toward origin.

See the first point. Why do you care about the origin of the BD?

2. Make controls and indicators default sizes match the default grid size on the FP.

Already exists - Tools>>Options>>Alignment Grid>>Resize New Objects to Grid Sizes.

(1,014 Views)

Regarding the placing of elements on the panel, LabVIEW really improved over the last few versions (as least from the little I played with 8.x) and whenever I played with it it did use to place the control near all the others.

As for the controls, you can customize and place your own right-justified numeric controls in the palettes. If you want to have them in the standard numeric palette, you can edit it by renaming the readonly.txt file found in <LabVIEW>\menus\dynamic (or whichever palette set you use) and then editing the palettes in the standard way.

(987 Views)