From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted TDMS Index File - Deletion No Solution

Ben,

1) Our disk health is good. We purchased this new Dell workstation purely for this purpose and it has not been used all that much yet.

2) As far as using the File Reference, I have attached a VI which may shed some light. We do use the file reference a number of times when getting data out of TDMS and eventually in sending data to TDMS. Perhaps you could take a look into my VI and see if you see anything that would raise a red flag for you.

Thank You!

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(1,071 Views)

If your index files are *that* big compared to your data file, maybe you should try one or both the following ideas:

1. Configure the special TDMS property "NI_MinimumBufferSize" so that data goes to disk in larger chunks, requiring fewer distinct index entries.  See this link among others you may find while searching.  (I never got to try this because this capability hadn't yet been introduced at the time of my TDMS project.)

2. Try using the "TDMS Defragment" function during offline time.  I made this part of my SOP with my big TDMS files and it made a *very* big difference for subsequent read access.  

I could only glance over your code quickly and have just one comment.  After closing your file, I'd suggest you stick an invalid "Not-A-Refnum" into your cluster rather than letting the formerly-valid one get passed along.  I'm skeptical that this could have anything to do with file corruption, it just seems like a good idea.

My TDMS-to-ASCII was just a special purpose converter for my particular app.  The code relied on app-specific knowledge of the kinds, names, and shapes of signals and data structures.   However, since you already have code to extract all your channel names and values as string arrays, you're only a "Write to Spreadsheet File.vi" away yourself.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 12 of 17
(1,061 Views)

Hi chris8302,

I'm one of TDMS developers, I'm quite interested in your issue and would like to help you if possible. I reviewed your posts, it seems your TDMS files were corrupted, you would not open some of them either in Excel or in LabVIEW, right?

I have some questions:

1) What version of LV you are using and what version of tdms.dll? You can right click tdms.dll in c:\program files\national instruments\shared\tdms\ and get the version number.

2) Could you please upload here a corrupted TDMS file if convenient for you? It would be very helpful for us to investigate and supply the support for you.

Thank you!

Yongqing Ye

NI R&D

Message 13 of 17
(1,050 Views)

Kevin,

I will work on incorporating some of your suggestions to see how they may help. I will let you know how that goes. Thanks so much already for your valuable tips.

Yongqing,

LV version is10.0 (32 bit)

TDMS.dll version is 2.2.1546.609

I attempted to attach one of my corrupted files, but it is too large to post. Let me know where you would like it and I would be happy to provide.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(1,038 Views)

Hi chris8302,

Try this: ftp.ni.com/incoming, it's a FTP server for NI customer usage.

Let me know if there's any problem. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,011 Views)

Yongqing,

I have uploaded an example file for you to take a look at. This file is corrupted and we are unable to get it to open even by deleting the index file.

File name is :    Test Results 1_201202221907.tdms

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(1,001 Views)

Hi chris8302,

We did some investigation on your corrupted file. It's a known issue of TDMS and got fixed in the latest TDMS. Please go to the below link to install the latest release of TDMS for free, it can solve the problem:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/9995

And, we also recovered your attached corrupted TDMS file, please go to the below FTP address to get it, I put it in the "TDMS" directory.

ftp.ni.com/outgoing

Please feel free to let me know if you have any more corrupted files which need to be recovered. And feel free to put it in ftp.ni.com/incoming.

Sorry for the issue and thank you for your patience!

Yongqing Ye

NI R&D

Message 17 of 17
(975 Views)