LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt .lvproj when running on a virtual machine...

Hello,

I'm writing to let you all know that if you run LV 2009 on a Windows running in a VirtualBox virtual machine and save an .lvproj file to a shared folder (a folder on the host OS shared with the virtual OS) then LV corrupts the .lvproj. However, if I save an .lvproj to a path that is within the virtual harddrive (i.e. a nonshared path) then everything works as expected.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,184 Views)

Southern Cross,

I am curious how you were able to reproduce this problem?  What OS was your host machine?  What OS was your VBox?  Did you happen to leave any of the files included in the project on the Virtual Box?

Here is a video of me using my Windows 7 computer with Virtual box (Windows XP) and saving a simple project to a shared folder called temp.  Then I minimize and access that same project on my host computer through the shared folder.

Sincerely,
Jason Daming
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,153 Views)

Hello Jason,

i have also a problem with a virtual machine ( VMWare ). The host is running under Windows 7 64 bit. The VM is Win XP Prof Servicepack 2. I have installed LV 8.5 on this OS. When i transfer my sources from an original Win XP Prof. PC to the virtual  harddisk of my VM the following happens:

The sources are running well under LV 8.5. When i try to open an existing project i get always the message the .lvproj is corrupt.

Do you have any idea ?

Hajo

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,023 Views)
Hajo-

I have a few questions about your application: 

1. What version of LabVIEW are you using on your Windows 7 64 bit machine?
2. Does this work with a blank project?
3. Does this work with a new project?

Unfortunately virtual image software is not supported by National Instruments due to all the customization that can be down with them.  Because of this, it is impossible for National Instruments to test every circumstance of the hardware or even guess how the software may perform in these environments.  Therefore we can do our best to assist with your application, however I can’t guaranty we will be able to solve this solution with 100% certainty. 

Regards,

Mike S
NI AE
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,983 Views)

fwiw,

I have encountered similar problems transferring LV 7.1 files between Win 7 64 and Win XP 32. Some of the files randomly corrupted, and versions compiled on the 64 bit machine didn't run properly on XP (note: the LV 7.1 installed on the 64 bit machine was installed in compatibility mode).

all that is to say, the problems others have mentioned might not be due to the VM but instead to a (LV or Win) problem moving data back and forth between 32 and 64 bit systems, or between xp and win 7.

my solution has been to work, save and compile on xp32 only. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,975 Views)

Hello Mike,

1. LABVIEW is not running on Windows 7 64 bit. I use this OS only as a host. The project(s) and vi(s)  were copied from an Standard XP Prof system. On this standard machine is LV 8.5 running. All vi´s and lvproj are ok.

2+3. Yes when i create a new project everything is fine

My Main VI with it´s subvi´s is running fine under the dvelopment system in the VM. Only the lvproj don´t.

Hajo

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,959 Views)

Hello Michael,

i don´t want to transfer from 32 bit to 64 bit. Everything should stay in 32 bit. I want only th switch between a 32 bit Standard PC to 32 bit VM.

Hajo

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,958 Views)
Hajo-

It is interesting to hear that a new project works correctly.  Is it possible to recreate your project again and open the new one?  Does that give you the error about a corrupt project as well?  You can do this by simply calling the files in existing project into a new one and save it. 

If this new project does in fact cause the same behavior, then we will know there is something in your project that the Virtual Image can’t handle.  If it runs without issue, then we know this issue is specific to that particular .lvproj file. 
Regards,

Mike S
NI AE
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,924 Views)