From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting binary file to ASCII format or Saving Multiple Binary Scans into one ASCII?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to do some data analysis for a coworker, using data he collected and a vi he created, so I'm a bit lost.

The vi he created (see zip file) will save each of the 3600 scans contained within the binary file (not in the zip file because the the combined zip file will not upload as it's close to 40MB) as individual ASCII files. I would like for those 3600 scans to be saved within one ASCII file rather than 3600 ASCII files. Is there an easier way I can go about doing this rather than just doing a massive conversion of the binary file to ASCII format? Although if just converting the binary file to an ASCII file is easier, I'm ok with that too.

I also do not need the time and date information that is contained within the binary file -- however, I do need the data saved in an ASCII file in the same order as the data is chronologically collected.

Thanks!

dNr

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,155 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dNr

If what you want is one text file containing the data of all 3600 records in the binary file, then why aren't you just doing the conversion all at once?

If you are doing the data analysis for him, and he created this VI, why didn't he just create the VI to do the mass conversion to begin with?  Why did he write this VI the way he did?

Read the binary records into your data array. 

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 07-09-2009 07:50 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,144 Views)

Ravens Fan,

I'm still in the process of learning more about LabVIEW, so the syntax is a bit different than programming I've done in the past (all linear) and so trying to do the conversion all at once is fine, but I was somewhat confused by the way to go about it.

I can tell you he created the vi to do one at a time as most of their previous data analysis was only looking at one of the 3600 scans at a time. There was no real need to analyze all of the data in bulk (which is why I'm working on this now because I'm used to doing bulk analysis). As to why he created the VI as he did, that's a good question. I don't know (he wrote this just over a year ago and I just started on this project in May)!  I generally prefer not using other people's VIs, but I figured why reinvent the wheel in this case?

Anyway, thanks for your help -- it seems that the VI edition you've provided works well, and while the ASCIIs are large, it's nothing I wasn't expecting! Smiley Happy

dNr

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,128 Views)