LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting a file from 8.2.1 to 8.0

I have this file that needs to be converted from 8.2.1 to 8.0 so that I can read it. I have been reading around posts and it seems as though you must be able to open it in LV as 8.2.1, then save it as an 8.0 file... However, I obviously cannot do this. Is there anyone who can help me out real fast? Or anyone have a trick to changing it?
Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,094 Views)
Here's a down-conversion to 8.0.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,079 Views)
Looking at the code, the program is petty ugly:
  1. Lots of coercions: why is the frequency type EXT??? Why is Gain and Phase I32? Why all these mixed operations with DBLs and integer diagram constants? Why all these coerced "+0" operations? they don't do anything.
  2. Lots of right-to-left flowing data. Lots of extra wire bends.
  3. Way too many comparisons and cases to deal with the "meter" output. A simple SIGN will do the trick (see attached)!

I made a few minor cleanups to give you some ideas. I am sure major improvments are still possible. Please check for bugs.

(I won't comment on how much sense the algorithm makes, because I haven't studied it. 😉 ...but for example if the frequency is set to 0.05, the thing does not "lock".)

Message 3 of 10
(3,074 Views)
Ha, you wanna know something really funny? That code is actually a an example code from the NI website. LOL.
In addition to the locking comment you made. I am actually trying to figure out how to make it continually change phase... ie, never actually lock.  I am pretty new to LV. I have been a matlabber/C coder for 7 years now. I was told LV would be much easier for my application and I was able to get my hands on a free license. So I am sure my code is/will suck.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,071 Views)

@snowman13 wrote:
Ha, you wanna know something really funny? That code is actually a an example code from the NI website. LOL.

Hmm, the only similar code I found is LabVIEW 6.0 code from http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5153, and it seems your posted code is derived from it. Where exactly did you find your VI. LabVIEW 8.2.1 does not exist and there should not be any examples using it on the NI web site. 😉

My RF knowledge is pretty spotty so maybe somebody else can help you with that. I don't quite see the purpose of it all, because the phase used for the feedback is obtained from the signal generation tool, a luxury you don't typically have with real signals. 🙂 Still, I think that whatever you need can easily be done in LabVIEW. Just start coding, then post again if you get stuck. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,063 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

LabVIEW 8.2.1 does not exist and there should not be any examples using it on the NI web site. ;)

Actually, I've seen one of Ben's recent attachment which was saved in 8.2.1 (at least that's what LV told me), so I assume that's what was meant by an example from this site - it was probably an attachment in the forum.

Snowman, you should note that if this code is from the forums then it is not official NI code and is probably just something someone wrote quickly. There are also examples which are submitted by users and not validated by NI, so you can have bad code there too.

To learn more about LabVIEW, I suggest you try searching this site and google for LabVIEW tutorials. Here, here, here, here and here are a few you can start with and here are some tutorial videos. You can also contact your local NI office and join one of their courses.
In addition, I suggest you read the LabVIEW style guide and the LabVIEW user manual (Help>>Search the LabVIEW Bookshelf).

(3,053 Views)
You guys are probably right... I have actually not opened this file(hence the post). I did receive it from "Ben" in the forum. But I didn't think he changed that much of it. I figured at most, he changed out the the sig gens and maybe a couple of the math equations... Here is the pre-hashed code.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5153

The whole purpose of my program is to receive this square wave sync signal, and then output a pulse a different points in each square wave... as explained here:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=222909
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,018 Views)
I will do my thing to that code tonight and repost and you guys can tell me what you think. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,017 Views)

@tst wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

LabVIEW 8.2.1 does not exist and there should not be any examples using it on the NI web site. 😉

Actually, I've seen one of Ben's recent attachment which was saved in 8.2.1 (at least that's what LV told me), so I assume that's what was meant by an example from this site - it was probably an attachment in the forum.

tst, you can find plenty of people that swear to have seen Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Yeti, or a flock of UFOs. 😄 This case is much simpler: If it exists, it is only available to select users that signed an NDA agreement, therefore it does not exist (by definition!). 😉

snowman (abominable? aka Yeti? :o). Good luck with your programming. Let us know how things progress.

Message 9 of 10
(2,996 Views)
LabView 8.2.1 does not officially exist but there are those on the Newsgroups and Warez sites that are either selling or distributing what they are calling LabView 8.2.1, These are probably betas and broken just like the so called LabView 8.2 release that these sites peddled as well before the official release.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,879 Views)