From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert microstrain to mV/V

Hi All,

this one's potentially a long shot!

I have collected a load of data from a strain gauge measuring in microstrain but It's been pointed out to me that I'd be better off measuring my Wheatstone bridge (with 4 active sensing elements) in mV/V. I have changed my program to now read in mV/V but this makes all my old data in microstrain somewhat redundant. I was wondering if anyone has the calculation presumably used in LabVIEW when measuring strain to calculate strain to mV/V so I can convert all my old data.

Thanks to anyone that may be able to shed some light on the matter!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,652 Views)

Hi Steve,

Personally, I think you should be working in microstrain to keep the units consistent, whatever configuration of strain gauge you use.

Not playing around with them often and being years since I did so, I will do little more than advise you to read the NI white paper on measuring strain:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3642/en/

and determine what the mV/V conversion back into strain conversion is for your specific setup here.

Making a subVI with the ability to input the resistor values as constants/controls from an external configuration will stand you in good stead for future re-use with different equipment.

I don't thinks it should be complicated.

You could even create 2 VIs (one for conversion each way).

Quick point - Measurement and analysis are 2 different things. (It might not hurt you to be able to see both sets of numbers.)

As for converting historic data, once the conversion fucntions are made and verified, you know that will be the easy part to mass process all the files/database overnight or something. It'll just be time comsuming

Good luck

James

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,645 Views)