From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling third party .exe programmatically in LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

so I'm trying to integrate a third party executable (a switch box) into my LabView program. With System Exec.vi I'm able to call up the executable, and the front panel of the executable with various buttons will pop up for me to interact with. However, I would like to programmatically access those buttons in third party exe without the pop up window. i.e.  being able to switch the switch box on or off without user interaction.

From the manufacturer's notes it seems that it's possible to control either manually through the pop up window or programmatically. 

How do I add parameters to the command line? So far putting " path\file.exe\" in the command line launches the .exe but on appending 

"path\file.exe\manufacturer-provided command" I get an error

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,461 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author nikvl

It will be much easier for us to fix the error if you name a third-party application, or (better) give a link to its help, which describes program management.
Now I can assume that the command should be written like this
path\file.exe manufacturer-provided command
or so
path\file.exe / manufacturer-provided command
or so
path\file.exe -manufacturer-provided command

Message 2 of 4
(2,449 Views)

Just for future reference, you should always try what you want to do automatically in a manual fashion first.  In this case, it doesn't seem like you tried to execute the commands from a command line.  That would probably have helped you to solve your issue and you wouldn't have even had to come here.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,371 Views)

Trust me, I actually do search the forums first.... (hence knowing about the system exec in the first place)

Calling the executable was not the problem nor was interacting with it.

I was using the command line; I just wasn't aware that there should be a space for the command in the command line, which I figured out anyway on my own looking at labview examples after posting and the way I found what the actual command should look like was through trial and error because the manufacturer's help was really sparse and unclear.

I simply marked it as resolved in case another user like me stumble upon it, where the issue could be a simple one of not inserting into the command line with the correct format

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,342 Views)