LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling separate VI's from one main VI

If I may push Messenger Library a bit, one of its advantages is the automatic shutdown feature that largely eliminates worry about hidden things still running.  In fact, I don't write any shutdown code for many components, and this a great simplification. I happily hit the abort button on my main vi all the time.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(307 Views)

Ok, so this project has evolved a bit and the plans on how to accomplish the task has changed. Using the premade VI's that I have now would be too restrictive on what we can do with the program so the best option is to make new ones from a scratch. The idea is to make separate regular subVI's for each simple task (move motor, acquire CCD spectra etc.) and combine them all in a mainVI which will control them all. This way there is maybe more work since I'll have to do everything from a scratch, but on the other hand combining them is a lot simpler since the subVI's themselves are simple and designed to be used like this. Also this makes it easier to add more things into the program in the future. Seeing how helpful this forum is and since I'm still new with labview I think I will still have some things to ask here, but those questions might be better to be asked in a separate thread. Thank you for all the reply's!

Message 12 of 13
(268 Views)

Putting those device interfaces in separate drivers is a no-brainer.

I recommend to look a tiny bit into classes. Put each driver in a class. No inheritance, just use a class as the driver's library.

This is a great introduction to OO, offers great benefits for the future. You'll find it very practical to store each device's settings in the class's private data and have the class icon header shared.

Just a thought...

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(264 Views)