LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling a stepper motor using a parallel port.

I am trying to control a HT23-400 stepper motor through LabView using a MCS9835 parallel port and a 3540M motor drive through a 32 bit windows vista . I have a few sample programs that should work or at least send some signals, but it seems that the PCI parallel port is not sending any information to the motor drive.

Can you give me any information about how can i make the whole system work?

thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,590 Views)

Take a look at this thread, it should help:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=74955&query.id=253197#M74955

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,570 Views)

Hi Gant88,

To use VISA with a parallel port, ensure that you pull down pins 11 and 12 to ground.

Check out this KB on using hte parallel port: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B937AC4D8664E37886257206000551CB?OpenDocument. Method 1 outlines what I just said.

Jeff | LabVIEW Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,544 Views)

thank you both very much for your help; i have been trying to make this work for a few weeks now. i will let you know how it goes.

Guillermo 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,538 Views)
I did an app like this a couple years ago with a serial port instead of a parallel port.  used the control lines for enable and direction and TX for step.  by setting the baud rate and controlling the characters sent, I was able to accelerate, move at velocity, decelerate a predescibed move.
Stu
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,522 Views)

Hi Gant88,

The program that you had posted is fairly simple and straight forward. Double check that the I/O port address is correct and check that the values that you are sending are valid (the list of command values should have been included with your drive). Below are a few articles about communicating with parallel ports using LabVIEW. If it still does not work, you may need to contact Moschip for more information about how to communicate with their drive.

Using Parallel Port in LabVIEW

How Can I Verify That My Parallel Port Is Working

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,431 Views)
Thanks for your help. Because of you i now have a wider view to do this project. I remember you mentioned something in one of your messages about the Measurement and Automation Explorer; I did the resting in this section and i get this error in the system "Error-10401 occurred at Digital Group Config" but i dont know what it means. I have been trying to look for answers on the web but i didnt find any solutions. I think the computer is not having any comunications with the motor drive but i am not sure what the problem is. Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,333 Views)
Sounds like you're doing some Traditional DAQ stuff in your code. What DAQ hardware are you using? What version of Traditional NI-DAQ? And why not use DAQmx? Sometimes that error comes up if you're using the wrong version of DAQ.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,309 Views)
What have NI DAQ or DAQ MX to do with VISA and the parallel port :smileywink:

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,294 Views)
t06afre, my thoughts were that it was an unrelated error to the parallel port question because that is a Traditional DAQ VI. It could be because he is trying to use hardware that is DAQmx only in his project.
Message 10 of 10
(4,262 Views)