LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling a remote controlled car through labview?

Hello,

I'm a complete novice at LABVIEW & have only found out in the last week or so that it would be a requirement of my final year project, leaving me slightly bewildered & a bit thrown in at the deepend.

I aim to be able to control a remote controlled car, remotely, via LABVIEW.

My intention had been to use a digital or analogue output module (9472 or 9401 if I go for digital) & wire these directly to the remote of the aforementioned remote controlled car, I'd then send electrical signals via these modules to the circuit board of the remote control, imitating the pulse or signal that would normally be present if the user were to push the joystick in a certain direction (i.e. 1 output for left, 1 for right, 1 for forward, 1 for reverse etc.)

I'm just wondering if this is even possible in LABVIEW in the way I have envisioned it &, if it is possible, how would it be done?

My second thought had been wiring the outputs to servo motors which would move the joysticks.

Thank you for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,329 Views)

It is quite possible to do in LabVIEW, LabVIEW was used by some teams in the original DARPA autonomous car challenge, real cars, real roads.  Do you have a good spec on the controls/interface? Doing it with servos would add a whole additional level of complexity, as you would have much of the part needed for direct control, then would have to understand and have the circuitry for servo control. If you know what signals are produced inside the remote control, what levels, shape (square wave pulses), frequency, etc, then it can be done relatively straight forward in LabVIEW. You wouold have to "hack" the remote, literally, to connect to it. I would plan a clean interface rather than a "rat's nest" of wiring, it will help straighten out troubleshooting during the development/integration phase.

If the signal levels are appropriate (I haven't looked inside a remote control in a long time) using the DIO card should work, if what is needed is streams of pulses at logic levels. If different levels are required you might need to build additional level shifting circuitry. Do you have the mentioned DAQ cards? If not there are other NI USB controlled ones that might work. How many controls are you trying to handle, how are their signals split out (does a joystick produce 4 signals, or does it vary a single signal in four ways? That sort of stuff)

We won't build if for you, but this is a great place to ask questions when you get stuck. Good luck!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,313 Views)

Is it possible to run a remote control app through a phone to navigate a robot while simultaneously running a Labview program that monitors sensors. Basically, my students are now working on a 'sumo wrestling' project. They will use sensors for detecting and reacting to other robots while at the same time, use their phones to steer the robots.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,052 Views)

Hello Labview_AI_Rob,

This is certainly possible, I'd suggest taking a look at this demo that uses touchOSC:

Community Example: Control LabVIEW from the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-12289

Best Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,044 Views)