From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling Large Numbers of Solenoids

I have need to control a large number of solenoids (up to 48, not less than 32) through labview. I am trying to determine the best way to accomplish this. It seems that two, NI 9477 modules in a compactDaq with an external power supply would be sufficient? The solenoid specs haven't been nailed down, but its looking like 6-12V solenoids requiring no more than 0.6A each.

I'm assuming I'd need flyback diodes on each relay, if the NI 9477 was used? 

Is there an alternative relay board that has good labview support/drivers? 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,479 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,371 Views)

Hello Mesa5,

You may also want to take a look at the Industrial DI/O 65xx  family, which is available in a few form factors and also uses NI-DAQmx. Deciding on a form factor is going to depend on a number of variables including operating environment and footprint, but if you anticipate that you'll need to expand your system to increase channel count or add mixed I/O then I'd suggest that cDAQ is much more adaptable than PCI or USB solutions. In any case, I'd suggest getting in touch with your local NI field representative as they'll likely have a more comprehensive list of the options available through NI.

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,460 Views)

Hi Outlaw,

Thanks for the input. I wasn't really looking at the family for a few reasons. I'm more familiar with the compactDaq series from other data aquistion systems. I'm not worried about having to go beyond 48 outputs, and I like the modularity of a USB connection as opposed to a PCI connection. It seems that the USB offerings there don't have the current rating I'd need. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,421 Views)