LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling Dc power supply via RS232

Hello All , 

i need to control a DC power supply ( current , voltage )  via RS 232 . since i am new to this domain 

pls guide how to start a program and guidelines for me. i took some materials as a reference here i have attached for reference 

Youtube Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSm5tzY_ydA

In the attached VI program ( dll test.vi )  they have used call by library node . what is the use of that >? 

Thanks in advance !! 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(7,441 Views)

Hi Bhuvanesh,

The call library function node is used to call a DLL, if you double-click on it you will see which DLL it is calling and how the call is set up. I think they do this because they had written some code in C or C++ and just use LabVIEW as a wrapper.

Are you sure it is an RS 232 connection, and not a USB connection? You uploaded "USB_driver_EN.zip" which will probably not be useful for an RS 232 connection.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(7,436 Views)

What is the model of the DC power supply?

Have you read the manual and does it have any programming examples, even if they are in a text based programming language?

As others have mentioned are you using RS-232 or USB? Or possibly a USB to RS-232 converter?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(7,418 Views)

Many of the DC supplies can be controlled via SCPI commands using the VISA (Write, Read, and Close) primitives after initializing (setting communication specifics) with the Serial Port Configuration.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(7,401 Views)

Hi RTSLVU , 

The model of the DC power supply was ODA ex series . hereby i have attached the manual of the dc power supply 

Here we are using the Rs 232 serial communication only 

Guide me sir . how to control the current using that ?? i have few ideas to control the voltage .. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(7,360 Views)

Hi minions , 

i agree and i have to control by VISA primitives only . 

i saw 1 video in youtube as a model for this . hereby i have attached the link  of that  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSm5tzY_ydA&lc=z22zzl4ixrzhypxdeacdp433c3zqhgmmzl0t3ylc015w03c010c.1...

like wise i have to control and communicate in both ways . Can you guide me with tips 

thanks in advance !!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(7,358 Views)

Start with Googling "SCPI commands" to get you familiar with some basics.  then I suggest downloading any of the HP/Agilent/Keysight power supply manuals.  They have some great examples.  Even if they aren't exact - I've found that each vendor has its own "flavor" of SCPI - you should be able to get some idea of at least how SCPI works in the real world.

Some tips:

• Think about how you would do it manually and see if you can put together some SCPI commands to emulate that.
  • Most (all?) of the examples you see will be in some kind of text language format - that's okay!  It tells you the order of how things happen, and what the syntax looks like.  You can translate that into LabVIEW easily enough.
  • After trying these steps, you still get stuck?  That's what we're here for.  Just make sure you understand that, at least in most cases, you won't be spoon-fed the answer because this is a learning forum.

Good luck!  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(7,342 Views)

Hi billko , 

i understood and agree your points 

have you the seen the model of my dc power supply ??  manual & datasheet ? ( attached )

any driver i have to install ?? 

i am not expecting the answer just guidance 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(7,339 Views)

@Mrtechie wrote:

Hi billko , 

i understood and agree your points 

have you the seen the model of my dc power supply ??  manual & datasheet ? ( attached )

any driver i have to install ?? 

i am not expecting the answer just guidance 

As a matter of fact, I have read the manual.  This is what I based my advice on.  The power supply uses SCPI commands.  I recommended looking at Agilent power supply manuals because they go into great detail how to program equipment using SCPI commands, and have lots of examples.  I bet some of them can be directly applied to your needs.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(7,317 Views)

Oops, to answer the other part of your question, if you are programming the power supply with SCPI commands, you don't need drivers because you are creating your own.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(7,315 Views)