From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control a servomotor without NI motion

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working for six months as a trainee in a company to complete my formation and become an engineer.

My goal is to develop a program to control a tensile testing machine. After 4 months here, the program is already finished in LabVIEW 8.2.

It uses several subVIs from the NI-Motion package (version 7.2) in order to control the servomotor Parvex RS440G that moves the horizontal bar: Clear Power Up Status, Enable axes, Set I/O Port Direction, Motion Error Handler, Read Positon, Board ID, etc.
It works perfectly!

What's the problem, then? Well, the company is moving to LabVIEW 2010, and they're not buying the NI-Motion package, so my beautiful program will not work anymore.

The easy solution is to leave the 8.2 version in the computer that controls the machine, but I'd like to know if I can't do anything else.

First question: will the NI-Motion 7.2 subVIs work in LabVIEW 2010?

If they don't, do you think it's possible to reproduce these subVIs "manually" in LabVIEW 2010 in the seven weeks I have left? I really doubt it.

Thank you for your time, I'd really appreciate some good advices.

P.S.: sorry about my English!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,280 Views)

You should ask NI if there are any compatibility issues with NI-Motion 7.2 and newer versions of LabVIEW.

I am sure it is certainly possible for you to re-create the NI-Motion VI functions; as long as you have a low-level understanding of how the VI's work.

There is a reason NI sells the NI-Motion package (a lot of the hard work is already done for you.)

CLD | CTD
LabVIEW 2011 SP1 | TestStand 4.5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,277 Views)

Hi CCornish,

Thanks, I'll ask NI about the compatibility between both of them.

And yes, I think I could re-create the NI-Motion VI functions, but as you say, there is a reason for NI to sell it, so I'm not sure if I could re-do all that hard work by myself in less than two months...

Regards,

arubio10

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,255 Views)

Hi,

Another possibility is to download for free NI-Motion driver 8.3 which is compatible with LabVIEW 2010.

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2597/lang/fr

Sincerely

David S.| Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
National Instruments France

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,242 Views)

Thanks David, I'll try that.

I'll tell you if it works when we upgrade.

Sincerely

arubio10

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,237 Views)