cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control Objects won't show up in Block Diagram

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to run the "Getting Started with Labview" tutorial project (http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373427j.pdf). I am running Labview 2016. When I place a knob or slider control on the block diagram instead of getting any sort of graphic I just get a small orange text box. After I hook up the wire to the input of the Simulate Signal box the amplitude is stuck at whatever value is in the box when I run the program. I am unable to adjust the amplitude of the sawtooth wave in real time. I have to stop the program, update the value in the orange box, then run it again. I am unable to add any graphical control to the block diagram including: sliders, knobs, or switches. 

Am I missing some sort of dependency? Is it possible that the installation of LabView is not correct? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,366 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author grmcwill

Hi Greg,

When I place a knob or slider control on the block diagram instead of getting any sort of graphic I just get a small orange text box.

Two notes:

1. Front panel elements (like knobs and sliders) should be placed on front panels, but NOT on block diagrams!

2. You get a numeric constant in the block diagram, which is - ehh - constant…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,357 Views)

The graphic part of control objects live on the Front Panel. What you see is the Block Diagram counterpart of the control, named Terminal.

Usually you place controls directly on the Front Panel, then switch to the Block Diagram (ctrl+E is a convenient accelerator to go forthh and back between FP and BD) to add more code.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,354 Views)

Ha! Thanks for pointing out this newbie mistake. I appreciate the quick reply.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,353 Views)

There is a setting to place Controls and Indicators as Icons (or not) on the Block Diagram.  It is usually "On" (Icons) by default -- the first thing I do when I install LabVIEW for myself is to turn it off, as I like the little symbols, know the "color code", and choose meaningful names so I'll "know" what they are.

But to turn them back on as Icons:

• Click "Tools" in the Menu Bar at the top.
  • Go all the way to the bottom and choose Options.
  • Click "Block Diagram"
  • Put a check in the first box, "Place front panel terminals as icons"
  • Close the Options.

New Controls/Indicators will show up as Icons.  Turn turn existing "non-icons" into icons, right-click them and select "View as Icon".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,351 Views)