LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuously reading Openg pipes

Hello everyone, I am trying to integrate a command line application in LabVIEW.

Unfortunately, the best idea I have got so far is to use the OpenG pipes to send/receive string to the std input/output of the command line.

I am basically trying to reproduce the command prompt in labview, with one button to send commands and a string indicator that should continuously update with the std output from the command prompt.

I am attaching 3 pics that should give an idea of what I want to do. The problem is that the output string is updated only after starting the cmd; any command I send afterward does not generate any output.

The code does not produce any error, now I am wondering if what I want to do is achievable at all.

Let me know if anything is not clear. Thanks to everybody!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,482 Views)

The last report I saw from RolfK, the developer of the unreleased OpenG Pipe, was that this was tricky software that was somewhat dependent on undocumented and changing behavior of Microsoft Windows and its various implementations, i.e. "Not Ready for Prime Time".

It is easy enough to ask LabVIEW to run a system command with some parameters that you pass in and to get it to "collect the output" and parse it for you -- it is just String Manipulation, after all.  You could create your own "pipes" by having a LabVIEW VI that did the first command, returning its output, and passed that as the input to a second VI that did the second command, thus forming your own "pipe" by stringing LabVIEW VIs along.  It wouldn't be the fastest thing you've ever seen, but it would work ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,430 Views)