LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continous “Bit (built-in test)” message

I want to learn the continuous “Bit (built-in test)” message in serial communication. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,534 Views)

Anyone know anything about it? this information can be an idea about it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,486 Views)

We won't know anything about it until you tell us something about it. So far we have 26 words and an acronym, from which the only particularly useful information is "serial communication" and perhaps "test".

What hardware do you have, or plan to have?

What sort of test do you want to run? (continuously?)

How will you conceptually evaluate the success or failure of such a test. You don't need to have code specifically to answer this - even a description is more information that we have currently.

One possible test might be sending an "IDN?" query to a device every 10 seconds, and comparing the returned value with a known and expected result. This might test connectivity, and that the device is responsive.

Another test could be sending nonsense every 0.5 seconds to check what the output of the response is. I have no idea what might be reasonable in this case.

If you tell us what you're trying to do, we can try and help provide tips or a solution.

As a side note - this is the second result for "built in test serial communication" on my Google search: https://www.startech.com/faq/serial_loopback_test_rs232_windows

It describes a loopback test, in which you are really checking the port, along with any cabling and connectors. That could be what you mean (and doesn't require external hardware), but it isn't a test that requires any real programming...

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,479 Views)

Electronic card sends a continous “Bit (built-in test)” message in every 5 seconds if the serial communication interface is active. I am trying to make it with virtual loopback communication.I can send data and I can see the this data on my screen. Writing and reading buffers are connected eachothers. But I dont understand how I am gonna send a continous “Bit (built-in test)” message while writing buffer is busy for other commands.Actually I dont know whether built in test message is related to my sending commands or not...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,458 Views)

Not sure if I understand correctly. But, if you are continuously communicating with a serial device(s), why do you need a built in test. When you get an error you know something is wrong. I can see the utility of the test if you are not actively communicating with a device and want to let a user know if a device is connected or not.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,453 Views)

I am trying to test my virtual electronic card specifications continuously, Electronic card has a digital input that can close the serial communication, Although it tries to send a command continuously, we can use this program for real applications. So we have to take feedback for whether our commands reach that device or not. This is just my duty,so I am just trying to do it:D

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,444 Views)

Can you explain what built in test message is.  Do I have to send this message in write buffer? and Does message have any words that is just like a message that I type in write buffer.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,443 Views)

@BiqBanq wrote:

I am trying to test my virtual electronic card specifications continuously, Electronic card has a digital input that can close the serial communication, Although it tries to send a command continuously, we can use this program for real applications. So we have to take feedback for whether our commands reach that device or not. This is just my duty,so I am just trying to do it:D

Still don't understand exactly what you are doing, but some devices, (GPIB), have serial polling. This polling can occur in parallel with commands. The polling reads a status register that can be deciphered to let the user know if there is an error, a command being processed, etc. Check if you device has a similar capability.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,431 Views)

Following a private message posted in an edited form below, I have the following response.

The requirements document is described in this previous forum thread (link to post): Sending-Commands-via-Serial-Communication.

@BiqBanq wrote (PM):

Hi cbutcher;

you know my duty that I posted in community. I didnt understand what I have to do. You said that I am in the wrong direction. Do I have to make self test program?

Hi,

I'll try and go through the requirements document and describe how I understood it.

You are assigned to design a test equipment in order to test an electronic card

You need to write some code (not the electronic card code) to test a card. You don't actually have this card, but you need to write code that would test that this (imaginary?) card is working correctly.

• RS422 serial communication interface
    • All the output functions of the card can be used through this interface. For instance, in order to activate the first analog output channel of the card, “analog_out_ch1_high” message must be sent to the card through this serial communication interface.)

The card receives instructions using RS422 communication. Your code will need to send commands, such as "analog_out_ch1_high", to the card, and then check that it behaves correctly. In that case, the first analog output channel should be activated. How could you check that was working?

• Electronic card sends a continous “Bit (built-in test)” message in every 5 seconds if the serial communication interface is active.

You must receive a message every 5 seconds. You don't know from the existing requirements what the text might be or if you need to respond.

• When this channel is set as high the RS422 serial communication interface shall become active.

You need to toggle a digital pin high in order to activate the serial interface. If the pin is low, the serial interface will not respond.

There are also various details of the voltage levels that you would need to consider when you choose hardware for your system. The requirements document the tools you should use to do this - you will probably also need to read the datasheets for various PXI modules/cards.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,417 Views)

Please use loopback serial communication.

this is my code. I dont know how to insert built in test message. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,414 Views)