From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constrained non linear fit in V8.5 - non optimised result

Solved!
Go to solution

Please could can anyone give me any pointers on where I may be slipping up with the constrained nonlinear curve fit function?

A little background: I have data which should fit a resonance curve. I can fit the curve to the data but the results are not convincing me.

I'm using LabVIEW version 8.5 (and don't have access to higher versions).

I have found someone with a similar problem here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/constrained-lm-fit-having-problem/m-p/902909#M407092

As far as I can, tell my issue lies with the fact that I only have a few points in the data that I am trying to fit to. This means that I must restrict the output of my model function to the same (low) number of points, as described in the thread I linked above.

The attached files show the output that I get from the fit... it isn't a million miles off the mark, but I know that a better fit can be achieved as I've done it in other software packages (results shown in the vi).

I started off using the non constrained Lev-Mar fit, but found that the solution that the vi converged to, was not physically sensible. again, probably due to the low number of data points.

Unfortunately I can't do much about my low number of data points.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,308 Views)

Hi Ian,

Are you able to select a bisquare fitting model method? Statistics isn't my strongest field but it seems like a more accurate method for the few points you have.

You also mentioned the similar thread, are you getting the same error (-20039)? Or are you just concerned about the plot inaccuracies?

Regards,

Ben Clark
Message 2 of 5
(2,290 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author _Ian_

Try passing your original 'x data' to the nonlinear curve fit VI as the X input, instead of generating a new grid.

-Jim

Message 3 of 5
(2,275 Views)

Thank you both for your replies.

It was as simple as implementing Jim's suggestion.

I feel stupid now! Smiley Surprised  I am also very relieved - I was getting a bit frustrated!

Thanks again,

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,268 Views)

Looks like I missed it too, Thanks Jim!

Glad you got it sorted.

Regards,

Ben Clark
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,260 Views)