From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant wait cursor when editing with LVOOP

I've searched around several times for any mention of this problem but have never found anything. It continues to drive me crazy so I figure I'd ask about it.

I have a decently sized project utilizing about 25 LVOOP classes in the hierarchy. Whenever I edit a VI within a class, every change I make causes a wait cursor for about a second or 2. This is not a long time, but when I'm in the middle of making something and trying to edit a VI rapidly, it gets extremely annoying to be blocked every couple seconds as I place, move, and wire objects.

I assume this has to do with compiling the VI, any callers, and doing something with the class, but is it common to block input while this takes place? Is there any remedy for this?

I'm developing on a 1 yr old Xeon system with a 10k rpm drive and 12GB of ram, it's definitely not an issue with my computer being slow.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 42
(2,915 Views)

I don't use auto-save and have never seen that issue.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 42
(2,908 Views)

I am working on a large LVOOP project with 30 lvclasses.  The only time I get the wait cursor is when I edit the type defs and select Apply Changes. I do not notice any delays when editing the VI's whether they are methods or plain old utilities. 

In my hierarchy, I created inheritance by having lvlibs which also contain lvclasses.  Most methods now access the superclass (well, that's what I call it..  the cluster that contains all classes).

Do you have access to another PC which has LV installed?  If so, do you get the same behavior?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 42
(2,905 Views)

This isn't auto-save. That happens every minute. This is nearly every edit that I make.

I just copied the whole project to another computer, an NI PXIe-8133. I get the same thing. I open up a VI in a class, drop a property node, connect the class wire, and bam, wait.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 42
(2,901 Views)

That is definitely a strange behavior.  I do not get that. 

It seems that it is something in your code.  Maybe someone at NI could have a look at it.

Try contacting your local rep to see what they could do.  Maybe someone from NI could visit this thread..

Such a behavior would drive me nuts!

I forgot to mention that I do use AutoSave.  I'm not as brave as Ben. 😉

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 42
(2,898 Views)

Yeah, I may contact support about this. I figured there would be a better chance of finding someone else on the forums that has seen it happen.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 42
(2,872 Views)

Hi Marc,

We're you able to contact National Instruments support about this? This definitely sounds like a rather tedious problem, and I see you said that you were planning to call support. We're you able to solve this?

Lea D.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 42
(2,854 Views)

No, I haven't contacted support yet. I've been dealing with it for months now and just figured it was a necessary evil with LVOOP, so I wasn't really in a hurry. I just wanted to get an idea if I was the only one seeing it happen.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 42
(2,846 Views)

Okay,

Well it doesn't seem that other people are replicating this. (Just reading from this thread). I know that in the object-oriented program some developers get a very large heiarchy going. It's possible if you're making changes from a very high level that these changes are taking a while to actually go through a build up. When you alter a higher level, everything below it has to change which can take abit of time. This also depends on how complex your program is.

Hope this helps!

Lea D.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 9 of 42
(2,829 Views)

I do get a delay when making changes to a class / typeDef, but not when adding regular objects such as functions, controls or indicators.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 42
(2,823 Views)