From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Labview for Battery Monitoring

Hello,

I am looking for a way to monitor and send commands to a power control center (PCC). This PCC has two batteries and a photovoltaic system connected to it. It has an existing energy management system, but lacks a GUI for user control. The system uses a RS232 serial connection which I plan on converting to a TCP/IP ethernet connection via a serial converter box.  

I should not need to buy any additional hardware, only software capable of communicating with the system. It seems LabView is more than capable of accomplishing this - I am just wondering what steps would be involved in doing this (with LabView) and how difficult it will be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,778 Views)

IF your RS-232 to Ethernet adaptor operates seamlessly

AND you have a good manual that covers comunications, all the commands, and how to interperate data for the PCC

THEN it should not really be that hard at allSmiley Wink

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,768 Views)

I have been provided with a memory map - protocol. Would I need any other information to allow labview to communicate with the energy management system? Is there an existing RS232 driver in labview? or is this something that I need to develop?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,746 Views)

It's unlikely that there would be pre-existing drivers, but it wouldn't hurt to look. You can either check the Instrument Driver Network, or from withing LabVIEW do a Help -> Find Instrument Drivers.

If you need to develop your own drivers it's not that hard. I'd suggest starting here: Getting Started with Instrument Control.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,739 Views)

LabVIEW can communicate with about any port you can think of on a computer. RS232 is implimented as well as ethernet communications.

As long as you know the command set of the instrument, you can send commends to it and get data from it via LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,738 Views)

@sbistline wrote:

I have been provided with a memory map - protocol. Would I need any other information to allow labview to communicate with the energy management system? Is there an existing RS232 driver in labview? or is this something that I need to develop?

Thanks,

Steve

A memory map is often associated with modbus and if that is your case there are modbus drivers available.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,716 Views)