cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connector block powered by R Series and able to connect to BNC

Solved!
Go to solution

Good Afternoon,

I recently purchased an NI PCI-7811R card in order to obtain the proper timing resolution our group needed to randomly fire an excimer laser based on two scattering inputs.  I've been puting the FPGA program together and during my first trial run I noticed that the BNC 2090 connector block we've been using for all of our other DAQ operations wasn't powering on.  When I bought the card I neglected to buy the connector block as well, figuring we could use the one we'd always used.  Well, it turns out that was a mistake.  Apparently the R-Series card doesn't power the 2090.  Firstly, is there a way to configure the 2090 so that the R-Series card will power it (I don't think so given the pin conformation) and secondly, if that is not possible, is there a connector block that is able to be powered by the R-Series card that will accept BNC connections.  While I'm thinking about it, if there isn't a BNC compatible connector can I simply trim the connection off the BNC cable and use the exposed wire for the spring board?

Stan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,138 Views)

Stan,

There is currently not a BNC solution for R Series Cards.  One option would be to use a SCB-68 and something like the CA-1000 to create your own.  Or you could possibly use your last suggestion, but there's no guarantees on that working the way you're wanting.

Regards,

Jared Boothe
Staff Hardware Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,111 Views)

Thanks for the timely reply, 

I'm looking at my options for the CA-1000 right now and I'm a little unclear about what exactly I would get with this interface.  When I purchase the SCB-68, it comes in it's own metal housing and the 68pin adapter to connect it to the PCI-7811.  I only need three BNC connections, when I look at the last part of Table 1 (pg three of the link) I see "2 included" alongside the BNC options.  Does that mean that each panel has two BNC connections or that there are two already on the CA-1000 and I'd only need to purchase another set of two?  Also, would I be able to use the SCB-68's 68 pin connector without any further modification? More specifically; I know that you can install the SCB-68 into the CA-1000, and then using its screw terminals interface it to the BNC connections, but is the cable connecting the SCB-68's 68pin connector to the rest of the SCB-68 long enough to reach the back of the SCB-68 so I can secure it or will I have to have a different cable?  I'm rather new to this type of work so let me know if I'm totally off base or being unclear.

Thanks,

Stan 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,103 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author StanleyK

Stan,

If you are only needing a few BNC connections, I'd recommend just using the SCB-68 breakout box, and wiring up the BNC connections yourself.

The CA-1000 is essentially an empty metal box.  You'd then purchase panelettes for what you'd like to mount.  The "2 included" means that there are 2 BNC connections on each BNC panelette.  It does not mean that the CA-1000 ships with two panelettes.  

Again, for only a few connections, if it doesn't need to look really nice and form-factored, the SCB-68 and just some wires to BNC connections would be sufficient.  If you need it to look nicer, the CA-1000 and a few BNC panelettes as well as the SCB-68 or the CB-68LPR inside would work as well.
Regards,

Jared Boothe
Staff Hardware Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,089 Views)

Jared,

Thanks for the help, It really doesn't have to look nice so I'm going to talk to the guys in the instrument shop and get some BNC connnections and wire it up to the SCB-68.

Thanks again

Stan 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,079 Views)
Make sure you mark the reply that helped you most as the accepted solution.  Not your own reply thanking that person.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,076 Views)
woops...
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,056 Views)