LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to Shared Variable Engine via OPC UA?

Have any labview programmers discovered the means to specify a functional URL to a Shared Variable Engine, through the OPC UA Client Connect VI? Can this be done directly between OPC UA vi and the SVE? Or, perhaps, does one need to make an I/O Server as a bridge? The use case for us is when DAQmx channels have been assigned as Global Virtual Channels, and their values published through the SVE (seen at Distributed System Manager).

This is in a Windows 10 & LabView 19 environment... (without DSC)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,193 Views)

I don't believe that the SVE has any OPC UA connectivity. Why do you need to use OPC UA? The SVE automatically publishes DAQmx Global Virtual Channels in its OPC DA server, so you could use an OPC client I/O server to read the data. You could also just read the network published shared variable directly using the shared variable API or you could use data sockets.

-Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,093 Views)

Correct, DAQmx Global Virtual Channels are broadcast through the Shared Variable Engine, and can be subscribed to via the DataSocket functionality in labview. DataSockets can also be used to reach OPC DA servers. Our application is adding OPC UA support, and it's now clear that the OPC UA functions in labview cannot reach the SVE, so we will maintain DataSockets for DAQmx and older OPC DA, while providing OPC UA for newer OPC servers that may not be configured for OPC DA connections.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,082 Views)