LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to Lakeshore 336 TempController Ethernet

Hello,

im very new to LabView programming and working with the MAX. I want to get control over the LakeShore 336 trough Ethernet in the first step and then with a ethernet connection to a cRio 9704 - System. (Can skip the first step, but i thought it is maybe not that difficult)

but I have already difficulties to see the TempController in the MAX system to configure it. It doesnt appear in VISA TCP/IP sysems or at Remote Control. Even if I search for the IP of the Controller it doesnt find it. I checked that the host-pc and the controller are in the same subnet. I think there could be an easy solution but I dont see it.

I would be thankful if someone can help me.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,746 Views)

I don't think you need to do anything in MAX to communicate with this device. You can use VISA to communicate with it however you can also use th enative TCP VIs. This instrument listens on port 7777. Simply open a connection using the IP address of the deviec and that port number. Once the connection is established send teh appropriate commands to the device. When necessary read the response.

The quick search I did showed there were LabVIEW drivers but they seemed to be for serial and GPIB. If these use VISA you should be able to use them with the network connection. Your VISA resource name would be TCPIP::<IP Address>::7777::SOCKET. (Replace "<IP Address>" with the correct address.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,740 Views)

Hello,

thanks for your help, but there are still problems. First of all I tried with the native TCP-Vis and I could establish a communication, but if I try to work with the VISA Commands the VISA READ always returns an error. I tried the example VIs of Lakshore and the same happens at the moment the VISA READ VI is involved.

And for further uses I want to integrate the LAKESHORE 336 into a cRio 9074 System trough ethernet. Is this possible without using the MAX-System?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,724 Views)

Yes, use ONLY the native TCP primitives. You will need to format the commands for the devices as specified in the manual. You can't mix the native TCP primitives with the VISA VIs. You need to use one or the other.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,719 Views)

Hello,

thx for your help it worked with TCP and VISA!

But now I have a new problem to be solved. I want to controll the 336 trough the second ethernet port of a cRio 9074 System. I tried it with this walktrough

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6872

but this works for a second network and I have the Lakeshore 336 connected as a VISA ressource. Is it still possible to get control over the 336 trough the cRio system?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,695 Views)