From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting many LabVIEW .exe

Hi community,

The idea is to send data between many labview application. in other words :

* I have PC 1 where i'll enter some informations, and i have an enum to select which PC i'll send those informations. 

is it possible to develop this application using shared variable? 

if yes, can you help me with some tips?

Thanks in advance

Modification : Attached, a picture that describe the main purpose of the application 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,124 Views)

@Brainiac91 wrote:

if yes, can you help me with some tips?

What if the answer is no? Smiley Wink

Shared Variables are more like a broadcast, and it will be hard (if possible at all) to selectively send it to specific recipients.

If you want to be selective, I'd go for a (custom) TCP\IP protocol. Or maybe UDP. It depends on how secure you want things to be. For instance, sending data and a destination 'address' as a message, allows any receiver to decide to pick up the message. That's not secure, as anyone could use the information. Sending a tcp\ip message allows (and forces) the sender to specify the receiver...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,092 Views)

@

thanks for your reply. yes, i want to send the informations to a specific recepient. 

and what you mean by a (CUSTOM) TCP/IP ??

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,085 Views)

@Brainiac91 wrote:

@

thanks for your reply. yes, i want to send the informations to a specific recepient. 

and what you mean by a (CUSTOM) TCP/IP ??

To communicate this way, you'll need a server and a client. Both client and server can read and\or write, so sender\receiver is not the same as server\client.

So (considering two nodes), one needs to be the client, the other the server. The server needs to implement a TCP\IP listener, the client needs to connect to it. Then, send strings back and forth. What you'll be sending is not standardized, so you'll need (are allowed to) write your own custom protocol.

See the TCP\IP examples shipped with LabVIEW, it has an example server\client.

Perhaps you can even go to a higher level, using network streams. I think they work well only in 'static' situations, but they are easier to setup then a custom TCP\IP connection and protocol.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,075 Views)
Message 5 of 5
(2,059 Views)