LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Labview to RS485

Hello everyone, 

am using a temperature controller (eliwell 4822) with RS485 and am using also LabVIEW 2016 software , I want to test the controller's commands for the acquisition part . My project is to control edible oil temperature and make it stable .i'am a biginner I will appreciate any kind of help that you will be offering .

My email is: imene_7@outlook.com

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(3,781 Views)

Do you have a RS-485 port on your computer?  If not, then get a USB-RS485 adapter.  Most will show up in Windows as a simple COM port, which means you can just use VISA and standard serial communications after that.  However, that controller uses a MODBus protocol.  So look in VI Package Manager or vipm.io for a package that handles MODBus.  NI has one and there are a few others that could work for you.  After that, you need to figure out what registers you need to read to and/or write from to control your controller.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(3,769 Views)

I recommend a USB to RS485 adapter with an FTDI chipset that installs a virtual Com port.

Then communicating with your instrument will be no different than communicating what any other instrument on a Com port.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(3,722 Views)

Hi ,

Thank you for answering , yes am using RS485 USB TTL , i will start the application as soon as possible and I will keep you updated thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(3,689 Views)

Hi ,

Thank you so much for all the informations ,  am using RS485 USB  

I will let you know about my progress , I appreciate your help .

IMG-361acc3c849e564382dca4af8e0c21e7-V.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(3,687 Views)

BTW: I took a quick look at your device and see it uses MODBUS

There is a free MODBUS library available through VIPM

ModBisLibCapture.PNG

It is very well supported in the NI LabVIEW Modbus API Discussion thread.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(3,680 Views)

Hello ,

Am having communication problems with my instrument am using RS485 USB modbus protocol an LabVIEW 2016  amt to read registers (input, hold, colis) 

Can you please give me all the details about the steps that I need to follow to reach my goal , I will appreciate any kind of help , Thank you .

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(3,630 Views)

Hello ,

Am having communication problems with my instrument am using RS485 USB modbus protocol an LabVIEW 2016  am trying to read registers (input, hold, colis) and communication with  internal registers

Can you please give me all the details about the steps that I need to follow to reach my goal , I will appreciate any kind of help , Thank you .

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(3,633 Views)

What are you having trouble with? What have you tried? Did you install the Modbus library as recommended by RTSLVU? 

A quick google search comes up with this which provides some information, but doesn't have the register map that is normally associated with Modbus communication. You may need to contact the manufacturer and see if you can get that map. Once you have it it's simple to program with the NI Modbus Library.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(3,583 Views)

Hey StevenD ,

Thank you for making time to answer,  am having trouble  with reading my regulator registers , yes i install the  modbus library and the PaletteMenu , what can I use from this two to be able to read only the regulator registers and to display the setpoint from Labview to the regulator that's basically what I want to do. I will leave some documents that maybe could help to understand more 

8MA10081_EW48_Modbus_EN_0410.pdf  

How_to_communicate_with_Modbus_RTU_slave_device_in_LabVIEW 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(3,546 Views)